chilean sauv blanc help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I fermented a fresh juice chilean sauvingon blanc the starting sg was 1.092 and the PH was 3.6 and the TA was around .4 so i used tartaric acid and used half of what i calculated and the PH was 3.3 and the TA .6. I used a hanna PH meter and calibrated it prior to use so i believe the meter is pretty close, I also used sodium hydroxide solution and used the ph meter to arrive at my TA anyway i used the cote blanc yeast and it finished at .996 and i stabalized it today and tested the PH and it was a 3.0 and the TA was 7.5? Is that normal to change like that? the other question when i tasted it it tasted great but i am a little concerned about the acidity, the reason why i ask is i think the harshness of the newly fermented wine is confusing what i might think of a little too high acidity? do you think the acidity is too high? and would the harshness somewhat cofuse your taste impression on that? and what would you experienced winemakers having made sauv blanc do at this point? Your help would greatly be appreciated. I also did a chardonnay which is still going at this point and will report on it's progress but a little concerned for my wine at this point.

Pat

Its very common for pH to drop during fermentation. Those numbers are on the low pH, high acid range for a white.

Was your NaOH fresh or old? It will make a difference if it is old. Does the wine have CO2 in it? CO2 will throw off pH readings. The wine needs to be free of CO2 for an accurate reading. I would run a pH and TA again making sure you are using fresh reagents. Are you using the pH meter to test TA? I wouldn't panic, let it settle out and of course sulfite it as normal. You can always cold stabilize the wine. That will drop some of the Tartaric out raising the ph and lowering the TA thus bringing the numbers more in line.

The Chilean Sav. Blanc i got was low on acid as well.

I add TA until i got to a .70 TA.

You stated TA was 7.5 - i hope that was not in percentage!!

.75 is not a bad TA reading for a white either.

It will taste harsh up front - with CO2 and being a young wine - give it time.

Thanks guys,

My TA was .75 sorry, And yes i am using a PH meter and fresh solution also fresh calibrating solution as well, I think i will cold stabilize it to bring it more in line, Thanks for the advice!

Well just spent some time checking out winemaking notes from some sauv blanc wineries in new zealand and they were showing PH of 3.00 and TA of 7.5 to 8.0, i think i will give this some time to mellow and give her another taste in a month or so

Latest posts

Back