Chilean Red Blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorey

Reaction score
I'm eagerly awaiting my grape order. I have ordered the following and intend to make two batches out of the following:
- Cab Sauvignon (6 crates)
- Malbec (20 crates)
- Carmenere (3 crates)
- Cab Franc (3 crates)

I have never attempted blending before but here are my intended batches

Batch #1 (approx. 31 gallons of must)
- Malbec (18 crates) 90%
- Cab Sauv (2 crates) 10%

Batch #2 (approx. 21 gallons of must)
- Cab Sauv (4 crates) 33%
- Malbec (2 crates) 16%
- Cab Franc (3 crates) 25%
- Carmenere (3 crates) 25%

Any thoughts on my blends? I'm sure I can change some things around when I pick up the grapes.

Are you planning a "field blend", fermenting them together? Or will you ferment separately, and blend post fermentation?

I was going to field blend them. Is one approach better than the other?

Sent from my iPhone

Mixttibsk

Fermenting separately allows you to use different yeast which bring out different things in the wine. Then you blend down the road and you get a much broader palette in which to paint on.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have done my research before I ordered. I don't really have the ability to ferment each on their own.

Sent from my iPhone

Mixttibsk

Are you crushing them yourself, or having them crushed when you pick them up? The numbers you get for Brix, pH and TA on each crush might influence your blending choices.

Do you have 5 gal buckets? These will typically handle 2 lugs. So you could do the Malbec and cab on there own and split the franc and carm into several 5 gal ferments.

I'm eagerly awaiting my grape order. I have ordered the following and intend to make two batches out of the following:
- Cab Sauvignon (6 crates)
- Malbec (20 crates)
- Carmenere (3 crates)
- Cab Franc (3 crates)

I have never attempted blending before but here are my intended batches

Batch #1 (approx. 31 gallons of must)
- Malbec (18 crates) 90%
- Cab Sauv (2 crates) 10%

Batch #2 (approx. 21 gallons of must)
- Cab Sauv (4 crates) 33%
- Malbec (2 crates) 16%
- Cab Franc (3 crates) 25%
- Carmenere (3 crates) 25%

Any thoughts on my blends? I'm sure I can change some things around when I pick up the grapes.

I think that your math is off here. Chilean grapes normally com in 1/2 lugs (or 18 pound crates). so.

Batch #1 (20 crates) should yield 25 gallons
Batch #2 (12 crates) should yield 15 gallons

So instead of 52 gallons of must, you should end up with 40 total.
Perhaps it is not too late to "UP" your order??

I like to field blend as well, but I would advise that you ferment all of your malbec separately. IMHO, I find the taste rather distinctive and you may want to have better control on how much of this you add to your blends.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply John. My math was for must outcome. Yes, I expect to get about 22 - 25 gallons of wine out of batch #1 and 13 - gallons out of batch #2.

I have two fermenters: a 44 gallon Brute & a 32 gallon Brute. I also have some 5 gallon buckets that I could use. I will be sure to ferment separately when possible.

No, I don't have them yet. Hopefully next week

Sent from my iPhone

Mixttibsk

Latest posts

Back