WineXpert Chilean Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabrictodyefor

Reaction score
On 1/2/15 I started a WineXpert Chilean Malbec. Up to this point I have primarily made country wines, this is only my second kit. I followed the directions, racked it to car boy on 1/15/15. Life got in the way for a while, so yesterday 3/8/15 I re-read the instructions and realized I needed to finish adding chemicals. My car boy was full to the top, so siphoned off enough so I could add said chemicals, which I did. So I had about 1 1/2 cups of the Malbec, which I closed up in a jar and sipped on last night. I know this is early, but I was disappointed with the flavor. There didn't seem to be any. Also very little if any mouth feel. I have an oak spiral and was thinking of adding this to the car boy. I had planned on leaving this in the car boy for at least a couple more months, even though the directions say to wait only 2 more weeks and bottle. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Is this the international selection from wine expert; ie the Malbec/Shiraz with skins? Mine is doing excellent so far.

On 1/2/15 I started a WineXpert Chilean Malbec. Up to this point I have primarily made country wines, this is only my second kit. I followed the directions, racked it to car boy on 1/15/15. Life got in the way for a while, so yesterday 3/8/15 I re-read the instructions and realized I needed to finish adding chemicals. My car boy was full to the top, so siphoned off enough so I could add said chemicals, which I did. So I had about 1 1/2 cups of the Malbec, which I closed up in a jar and sipped on last night. I know this is early, but I was disappointed with the flavor. There didn't seem to be any. Also very little if any mouth feel. I have an oak spiral and was thinking of adding this to the car boy. I had planned on leaving this in the car boy for at least a couple more months, even though the directions say to wait only 2 more weeks and bottle. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Leaving it in the carboy should help. Oak will help. Also consider tannins.

Wine takes time. If this is the Sel. International w/skins, don't expect it to get all that good prior to 18 months, after that it really starts to open up, and definitely add the oak.

Thanks for the advices, it was a WE Select, but did not have skins. So I'll throw that oak spiral in there....how long do you think I should leave it in there? And the directions say to bottle in two weeks. Do you normally just leave it in a car boy for about a year? Then bottle. That is how I usually do a county wine, just not positive about these kits! Trying to follow instructions, but not doing a good job of it!

Thanks for the advices, it was a WE Select, but did not have skins. So I'll throw that oak spiral in there....how long do you think I should leave it in there? And the directions say to bottle in two weeks. Do you normally just leave it in a car boy for about a year? Then bottle. That is how I usually do a county wine, just not positive about these kits! Trying to follow instructions, but not doing a good job of it!

Leave it in there as long as you want. You can taste it as time goes on, to see how the oak is progressing. Don't bottle for at least six months, twelve would be better.

I have this kit in my carboy and am on step 3 in a few days. Waiting for it to be below 0.098 and am right at 1.000 now. I hope this kit turns out decent as this is my first kit as well. Good luck! I plan on oaking when I bulk age with some spirals I bought - not sure how many to put in though .

Regarding oak spirals, it is my understanding that they will give off all their flavor in about six weeks.

In terms of aging, it is up to you the amount of time to bulk age in a carboy versus bottle age. The combination of the two would ideally be around a year for reds. You can typically drink whites a bit sooner.

Heather

Leave it in there as long as you want. You can taste it as time goes on, to see how the oak is progressing. Don't bottle for at least six months, twelve would be better.

:slp makes sense to me! All these fruit wines I've been making do not cost as much as this kit, so I think I am a little paranoid of screwing it up! I do the same with the country wines, rack every few months, give it a taste and when it starts tasting pretty good, bottle, then wait for another few months. I have other wines that I can drink and don't mind waiting on this. And am wanting to get a few more reds going so in the future I have some decent reds in the "wine cellar". Thanks for the help

Back