Chilean Malbec, Syrah w/grapes questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
I'm doing my first juice and grapes blend. I have mixed 6 gallons of Malbec and Syrah juice along with 36 lbs of Malbec grapes. OG was 1.090 and after bringing it up to temperature I pitched RC212 yeast. It has started to ferment after just a few hours.

Should it be stirred more then once a day?

As the grapes break down, will the SG go up or is 1.090 it? Also, I did MLF on prior batches of juice using WLP675 with trying results. I wouldn't use it again. I am considering VP41 or Bacchus this time, is one better then the other for this type and quantity of wine? I also have some Opti-malo available if warranted.

Thanks for any insight.

Tony

In my experience, SG doesn't move much, but might go up slightly in the first 24 hours or so.

I've had good experience with both Bacchus and VP41, but I think VP41 has a wider range of sulfite, Acid and ABV tolerance. At least based on memory.

I stir 2-3 times a day. 1 is probably enough, but I'd try for 2 if you can.

Last edited:
I'm doing my first juice and grapes blend. I have mixed 6 gallons of Malbec and Syrah juice along with 36 lbs of Malbec grapes. OG was 1.090 and after bringing it up to temperature I pitched RC212 yeast. It has started to ferment after just a few hours.

Should it be stirred more then once a day?

As the grapes break down, will the SG go up or is 1.090 it? Also, I did MLF on prior batches of juice using WLP675 with trying results. I wouldn't use it again. I am considering VP41 or Bacchus this time, is one better then the other for this type and quantity of wine? I also have some Opti-malo available if warranted.

Thanks for any insight.

Tony

Punch down twice a day.... Morning and night... I use a tool that looks like a potato masher. As the yeast converts the sugars to alcohol the sg will fall. When the grapes fall and stop creating a cap check the sg.... It should be around 1.00 or lower... Then press. Either VP41 or Bachus is good... Much better then WLP675!

Sam

Thanks guys, ordered the Bacchus, that stuffs not cheap, $15 for 1 gram for 6 gallons. Fermenting nicely, will punch down at least morning and night. Found out its B/O'ed. Picked up Wyeast MLB at the LHBS.

Tony

Last edited:
So far so good, fermentation and crush went well, moved to carboys along with Wyeast MLB. There is activity, but until I test, we'll see if it's progressing ok.

Question, I kept the heavier sludge to a minimum going into the carboys, but of course, I anticipate a fair amount of lees and stuff. Rack after MLF is complete?

Thanks,

Tony

Latest posts

Back