Chianti and Montipulciana stuck at 1.000

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB78

Reaction score
I started my Monti and Chianti from juice buckets Oct 4, OG was 1.080 on both. I racked to secondary at 1.030, and since its been 4 weeks, and they both are still at 1.000, my chianti is slightly lower. I still can see a tiny amount of activity going on, but I am not seeing the gravity going any lower. My concern is that 4 weeks is plenty and waiting longer will possibly allow it to go bad. Everything I have says 2 or 3 weeks should suffice. I also have not topped it up yet so am worried about that as well. Should I go ahead and rack it and add sulfites, or continue to wait, if so what would be the longest secondary fermentation could, and should take, or how long I should let this go. If any has any advice I would appreciate it.

If it is still fermenting, leave it alone. If it looks like it is clearing, mite be time to rack it. Check your hydrometer with some distilled water. It should read 1.000. If not, it should give you a factor to use to change your s.g. with. If no distilled water, use tap water and it should be close to 1.000. Mite be a little off because of any elements in your water, but it probably won't be off by much. Arne.

Your fermentation is complete. I would immediately rack it and sulfite. You are risking off odors from the gross lees let alone bacterial contamination.

I think I am just going to rack it, just to be on the safe side. One other thing when do you recommend adding oak spirals I have heard some people say to add them now others have said to wait till the last couple months before bottling. I have a California Merlot going now and have already added the Oak at the point I am at now with these. What do you recommend though.

add oak once wine is clear. taste periodically to level desired. if you over oak time spent bulk aging before bottling will smooth out the flavor .

Latest posts

Back