Checking SG in secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenS

Reaction score
Cellar Craft old vine zin. Racked to secondary at 1.000 SG two days ago.

Quick question: how frequently should I be checking the SG, and should I worry about 'breaking the seal' and allowing oxygen in if I check it on a daily basis?

Every other day is fine. As long as you're reasonably topped up you shouldn't have to worry about 'breaking the seal" as there is still enough CO2 to protect it.

The WE chocolate raspberry port that had nothing on the label about stirring. We both read through the directions twice. While I am not very experienced, still a noob, I knew enough to know to stir it from the other wines we started.

So yes, it very confusing to first timers.

Tim V of Wine making Magazine is starting to say that a kit wine should stay in secondary at least the number of days recommended in the instructions, regardless if the SG stops dropping early or not.

I have no reason to doubt his wisdom. If that's what you want to do, here's how I would proceed - For example, if the instructions say the wine should stay in secondary for 8 days, I would check the SG on day 6, seal the wine up again, then check it again at the end of the 8th day.

If the SG is the same on both days, the wine is finished fermenting, so I would move onto the next step. If the SG has fallen some from day 6, I would wait another two days and check it again until it has stayed the same for three days in a row.

Tim V of Wine making Magazine is starting to say that a kit wine should stay in secondary at least the number of days recommended in the instructions, regardless if the SG stops dropping early or not.

I have no reason to doubt his wisdom. If that's what you want to do, here's how I would proceed - For example, if the instructions say the wine should stay in secondary for 8 days, I would check the SG on day 6, seal the wine up again, then check it again at the end of the 8th day.

If the SG is the same on both days, the wine is finished fermenting, so I would move onto the next step. If the SG has fallen some from day 6, I would wait another two days and check it again until it has stayed the same for three days in a row.

I like that idea!

Latest posts

Back