Chateau Michaelena Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike you sure are getting cold. Thats really not an issue up here in the Northeast. Even though were getting a late start we're getting tons of rain and can't get out to even cut the grass.

I need some of those vineyard fans for sure! I have a couple of house oscillating fans I could put an extension cord on and turn on in the morning...

This has been a WINDY and crazy Spring. One week unseasonably warm, the next unseasonably cold. Just North of me about 45 miles they got 16" of snow yesterday. Today we got rain, sleet and then blowing snow this afternoon. The front is moving out now and tomorrow is forecast to be super cold with the rest of the weeks lows near 30.....
smiley11.gif

Glad to hear your still hunkered down safe and sound Waldo!

May I send you some cold air to push that moist air out and on down the road? Digital thermometer on the North side of the house clocked in at 24 this AM and I put another out in the garden area where the vines are away from all structures for the most part. It got down to 22 about 6 inches off the ground.
smiley34.gif

Bags seemed to stay on over night. Good thing I anchored them down with some rocks as the wind continued to howl most of the night. Seemed to finally die down around 2:00AM.

Will take the bags off at lunch and take a peek for damage but it might night be evident till tomorrow.

Not to discourage you but at 22 degrees even with a cover, they are likely to be frozen. They will just send out another set of buds in a while, so they will grow. I'm hoping for the best!

You are indeed wise Appleman.
smiley23.gif

Just returned from a quick trip to the house and pulled off the bags an all buds are......
smiley11.gif

Oh well glad its only the second growing season.

I had one bud that had shot up 8" in 2 weeks from the ground. Bet you can't guess which variety that was!
smiley36.gif

I'm way down down south but we get cold sometimes.We dont use plastic for cold protection. For precious yard plants we use old sleeping bags or shipping blankets.Most plants need wood steaks to support heavier blankets. Commercial citrus and strawberry growers keep the irrigation on and ice mounds on the plants but protects them down to about 24'F.

One of those Marquette (Frankenvine) you sent me. Not on vinifera rootstock I was assured!
smiley36.gif

appleman said:
You are right, I can't guess which variety it was- but probably a vinifera rootstock!

Nope not on rootstock then!

By the way, this last year's Marquette is tasting especially good this year! We had it alongside some St Croix Vineyard Marquette last week at a tasing and over half the room preferred mine over that one. It is Peter Hempstad's vineyard and he is the one that released it. That lets me know I can make a fair wine
smiley4.gif

They had my area forcasted for frost last night, but temps stayed just above that" WHEW "

BOB

Supposed to warm up (yea right) after today and should be back to normal temps by the weekend. Poor little vines don't know what the heck they should do!

We are still going down into the twenties most every night in Colorado Springs. It is supposed to warm up today and stay in the 30's at night and 60's by day for several days.

I have a friend who bought 10 acres just west of here. I'll help him plant one acre in grapes vines, not this weekend, but next. That should be fun.

I figured if we were getting hammered this far South you must be as well. The forecast is really looking better each day for the rest of the week!

Yeah, this weekend is supposed to be in the mid-70's.
I am really looking forward to that!

This morning I turned my sprinkler system on (again); maybe I will be able to leave it on for awhile this time.

Here, May is a very up and down month. We have had snow flurries several days in the last couple of weeks.

June usually is pretty nasty with days in the 50's for the first half month. After that it is summer till September, then Indian Summer till mid-November. We don't have a Spring, really, but man do we have nice Falls!

I love it, though.

June is our hottest driest month. Our one month of true Summer weather where its worth it to have a pool membership to one of the local subdivision pools. Monsoons hit in July and August and we get clouds every afternoon and rain several times a week. September and October are to die for gorgeous as you know. Spring is just plain miserable. Worst season of the year for sure. We just try and survive March, April, May. Wind, wind, wind, late freezes, wind.......
smiley11.gif

Latest posts

Back