Chateau Michaelena Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wouldn't be fun if it was EASY!
smiley36.gif

I am really hoping that the volcanic and chalky soil will add some nice flavor to the grapes and (someday) wine down the road. These are some of the same characteristics of the Red Mountain, WA AVA.

Some of the best vineyards in France are planted in the worst (rocky) looking terroir. Its those minerals that will be soaked up by the vines and impart wonderful flavor (hopefully!)
smiley2.gif

amazing...now i have a question...can the vines root thru that volcanic rck?

Thats the $64,000
smiley25.gif
as they say!

Its not solid rock, just enough to keep you from an easy dig straight down.....
smiley19.gif

Looks like kryptonite on those rocks..........

As far as the Aliens did it, how far from Roswell are you???

Roswell is about 325 miles South of me. I am way up North, much higher elevation (~7000ft, close to Santa fe) in the enchanted part of the state as I like to say!
smiley36.gif

gaudet said:
Looks like kryptonite on those rocks..........As far as the Aliens did it, how far from Roswell are you???

Finally got around to taking a few pics of the vines this morning while it was still cool out. I suppose at this point in time we actually have a "wine garden" so to speak. Since I am not sure totally about the viability of these vines in our soil I was hesitant to tear out a nice mature perennial garden. So if these guys do survive and thrive in our soil I will be moving things out down the road. I plan on running some wire or wires next year to form a trellis when things grow up and reach the top of the 2x2 post. All vines are on the drip system.

Not sure exactly what needs to be done this first year as far as pruning so any help there would be much appreciated. Also some vines have more than one shoot going, some vines as many as three. Do these extras need to be cut off? What is the best method to secure the vines to the post? Lots of questions for sure.

All in all most vines seem really happy at the moment. I have 30 total vines with a nice mix of Marquette, Corot Noir and Noiret. All cold hardy and supposedly tolerant of our Winters.

Stay tuned for more as they say!

20100618_123434_DSC02603.jpg

20100618_123450_DSC02602.jpg

20100618_123504_DSC02601.jpg

20100618_123522_DSC02600.jpg

20100618_123536_DSC02599.jpg

20100618_123550_DSC02598.jpg

20100618_123605_DSC02597.jpg

20100618_123618_DSC02596.jpg

20100618_123633_DSC02595.jpg

20100618_123647_DSC02594.jpg

20100618_123702_DSC02593.jpg

20100618_123714_DSC02592.jpg

Those look mighty healthy. Wish my climate allowed for a better variety, but I don't have enough real estate to accommodate enough vines to make a substantal enough grape crop like that. Nice job Mike.

those pictures are GREAT...this is what i do....so its just my opinion.....i leave all the foliage so get as much photosyntheis going right now and into the rest of teh year....the extra leaves will be worth it..esp in s a dry clime....going forward later in the season you will be able to see one or two shoots that are the viable trunk prospects for next year....but they will bettter for all the leaves you leave on this year....the only leaves worth removing this year are ones that cause terrible air flow or shoots that run parallel to the ground and inches away from the ground..but anything six inches and up...all the juice you can stor into the roots this year mean one heckuna trunk and maybe cordons too for next yr...also this is your one nest chance to get the vines established in that soil

keep me posted brotha!

As they grow in length and start to tip away from the post, just tie them loosely to the post. They sell all sorts of material you can use, but some of the cheapest and easiest to use is the green plastic tape used for tying plants up-imagine that! You can also use twine, but keep it loose to allow for growth.

Do like Al says and just let them grow this year. Next year you prune off what you don't want and begin the vine structure.

They are looking good. Keep it up, gotta keep the babies growing!

i wouldrefrain from applying moisture to any leaves unless you are positive it will dry soon after applying...no real good comes from leaves being moist for any real length of time....

also on the aspect of tying vines, a Rich was mentioning......loosely tie because the vie wants to be free to grow...if IT senses restriction then it points the juice elsewhere and that means extra growth in a different shoot..and that thwarts your intentions

ok so now we have Mr Mike checking on his wine before hugging the wife and family dog....now its gonna get worse...after he checks on the wine when he comes home and goes upstairs to hug the wife and fido he will position them so that he can see out the slider to view his vines.....he will be hugging in body but eyeing the vines in spirit

what can i say?

Yep, first thing I do each morning now, go outside and and check on the vines and make sure there all OK. We have a few cottontail rabbits that make their way into the back yard every now and then even though its fenced.

As for moisture staying on the vines, that will never be a problem here! The humidity yesterday at 5:00PM was a whopping 4%.... June is our hottest driest month until the monsoons kick in. Even then humidity is only 30-40% unless we get a shower. But still good to know to be careful.

as gentle as miracle grow is..it is still a salt..never apply when vine is moisture stressed....apply water first....to let up some water...later hit w a miracle grow like product

Is there a better product on the market more suitable for the vines?

I am using just the standard MG as it what I keep around the house. I think it's 20-20-20.

its fine....honestly.....just salt based...in our greenhouses we use an organic product also liquid based...called Daniels....that way if we have an issue w something not being watered and in wilt down mode we dont blast it w our scotts salt based fert and burn the leaves...if you are on top of your vines then salt based wont hurt at all....i use a salt based granular 5-10-5 or 5-10-10 in the vineyard

Back