Chateau Michaelena Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack just wanted to play fetch all morning since that's his favorite thing to do. He did manage to eat a few grapes that slipped out. Had to watch him close as they are dangerous for dogs to eat I found out!

Oh, I think he has the right idea - he fiddles with the clusters while the daughter turns the crank! :slp

Your puppy is like mine, there for moral support only (and to keep the birds, rabbits and squirrels from stealing any grapes)!

Looks great, Mike. If you do this every year, you are bound to get really, really good at it! :h

How's the Jack Tone holding out?

The motor would probably work alright. I chose the motor I did because it was plenty big enough, had a built in switch and the right size to fit my mounting bracket I had made. I would never be without it now.

I like that press Mike - looks like the 35 I didn't get! The crusher destemmer looks like a motorized one that was on sale as well - but I did good just to get the press! Great pictures - but I think your storage room is going to have have an add-on!

Oh. Wait. It already IS an add-on, isn't it??! :db

That's the #30 Press and the crusher is a manual one but you can add a motor. Rich has done just that so I will be pickin' his brain next Summer for sure to get the right size pulley and belt. Just need to have a bracket fabricated for it.

My winery is BULGING at the seams right about now since I have all of 2011's crush in the barrels as well as bulk age plus now all of 2012! Never fear Xmas is near so the racks will be dwindling soon.

That #30 press is just perfect for my 20G primaries. I can move them around easily enough and the entire primary will easily fit into the press (216lb of fermented fruit)

Mike great pictures. I had a small batch to crush yesterday (about 600 pounds) and chose to use the small crusher like yours only with a motor. I couldnt believe how quick it went. Gret pictures there buddy and I like the dog!

I got mine from good old George last year. I bit the bullet and ordered both the press and the crusher all at the same time. I felt like I got maximum use out of both this season for sure!

Any updates on the homegrown blend? I'm considering ordering 15-20 vines from Red Dog next week. I'm down to Marquette, Noiret, and Corot Noir. Read all the literature on them but was was interested in your opinion as you grow all three. I'm pretty sure I'm doing 8 Marquettes, and 8 of one of the Cornell varieties. Thread is amazing! Thanks

I added about an ounce of med toast French Oak beans about 3 weeks ago. The wine had a wonderful aroma before the beans were added. I will bulk age through the Winter and cold stabilize in the garage this January or February timeframe.

Very cool! Are the beans like compressed oak pellets? Any advice on the varieties from my previous post? Thanks again

This is my first harvest of estate grown grapes. All 3 are supposed to make a very good wine. Of the 3 I have tasted Marquette and was very happy with the flavor profile of the wine. Very much like a Pinot Noir. Many of us have ordered vines from Double A Vineyards. If you haven't looked at their website I would also check them out. Top notch quality vines. Oak beans or cubes are basically cut up pieces of toasted oak that get tossed into the carboy to oak the wine much like a barrel does.

Very nice! I was debating between grafted Pinot Noirs and the own-rooted Cornell/Minnesota varieties. I'm familiar with Double-A but I'm comfortable with Red Dog and their prices are fantastic.

Man what a difference from last years bud break. Last year we were busting out all over on this date. This year I still have sticks in the "Nano" Vineyard.....

Good thing as well as we got down to 24 degrees yesterday morning! Todays low was 48. Gotta love spring in the desert southwest......

ibglowin said:
Man what a difference from last years bud break. Last year we were busting out all over on this date. This year I still have sticks in the "Nano" Vineyard.....

Good thing as well as we got down to 24 degrees yesterday morning! Todays low was 48. Gotta love spring in the desert southwest......

Last year my nebbiolo had budbreak April 1 this year April 21 . I've also spent two nights this year building fires in the vineyard fighting off the frost. Got to love the continental climate.

Well we have some bud break this week. Now hope the freeze warning we are under tonight doesn't materialize!

image.jpg

Bucket of Marquette!

I ordered 6 more Marquette vines from Double A and got them the first week in April. Stuck them in a pot with soil and this is what they look like now. All 6 are happy and growing like weeds. I will plant them next week after we are past our average frost date (5/7). I did a carboy sample of my 2012 "Field Blend" a mix of Marquette/Noirette/Corot Noir. Oh boy, its only ~7 MO old and tasting delish. I bumped up the tannin level with some Tannin FT Rouge and added a couple oz of Med Toast French Oak beans.

Looking good!

IMG_1378.jpg

Nice looking "sticks", Mike! ;)

Could you explain the Tannin FT Rouge? And how you determined the target tannin level in the carboy? Would be helpful and interesting for us neophytes.

Re the oak beans, do you sanitize them (or any oak additions whatever the shape) before adding them to the carboy?

Bob

SWMBO and I flew out to LA (Burbank) on Thursday to spend a few days with our oldest daughter and SIL. They just purchased their first "starter home" in Burbank way up close to the Verdugo Mountains. Man they have some serious hills in "LA"! Our youngest daughter is house sitting and on vine watch. Sadly we did drop down to 26 yesterday morning. She said the vine up by the patio which I took the pic of did look a little burnt but that much of it still looked green. I will have her shoot me a pic later today. Most of the vines out in the "Nano" Vinyard were just starting to bud so I think they should be OK.

Bob,

Tannin FT Rouge is a tannin extract product made by Scott Labs. I think it is a little better quality than other tannin extracts. I added it up front in the Primary and picked a mid range level addition that was listed on the instruction sheet. If you like tannin in your red wine (and I do) Cold Hardy Hybrids (like I am growing) can use a bump as they have less tannin normally than their Vinifera cousins. Doesn't mean they won't make a fantastic wine without there use by any means. Its purely a stylistic choice up to the winemaker. As usual any Tannin addition will make the wine less approachable up front/early in the life but should allow the wine to age longer and have a longer finish in the glass.

Forgot to mention, I do not sanitize the oak beans. They are kept stored in their sealed plastic bag and they are good to go as is. I use about an ounce of oak for every 2G of wine (red). Since I only had 3G and have 6G barrels, none of this wine saw any barrel time so oaking alternatives were the only option really.

Back