Chardonnay too thin: Anything I can do at this point?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineyDoc

Junior
Reaction score
I just racked a cheap Vino Italiano Chardonnay kit from the primary to my carboy and tried a taste of the preliminary result and the wine is much too watery/thin for my liking. Fermentation has already ceased.

Is there anything I can do at this point? With some of the cheaper kits I normally add cooked/mashed banana water to help with the mouthfeel but I refrained this time because I wanted a "light" (but not THIS light!) wine for summer that would be ready in a couple of months.

I added a tablespoon of oak extract and that helped boost the flavor a bit but it is still much too watery. ISG was 1.090, final is .996. I'm thinking I need some neutral dissolved solids or something.

BTW, long-time lurker, finally registered today. :hug

not alot I can say to help but welcome to the forum I know you'll get answers shortly I'm sure

It sounds like you've already stabilized this wine; if you have not yet stabilized, you can try battonage on this - this could improve the mouthfeel.

So do I. The gly will work, about an ounce per gal.

Tom, is it too late for bananna soup? Be careful Winey, only I can lurk.

yea really is to late. Unless he wants to wait 3 months. It will take that to really clear. best if added sooner.

Remember
Not only the 3 "P's"

BUT

The 2 "T's"
Taste
Taste
Taste
through aging and make adjustments as you go.

You could always bump it up with 3-4 bottles of better quality Chardonnay as well. Yellow Tail or Two Vines can be had for less than $5 a pop. If you have Trader Joe's nearby, $3 Buck Chuck can be had in a Chardonnay as well.

I have not used it, but I have read that Biolees may help with mouthfeel.

Latest posts

Back