Chardonnay, or Something Close, First Time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winetortoise

Junior
Reaction score
My next project will be a white grape wine for my mother-in-law, who was impressed with my fruit wine enough to ask me to make her some "chardonnay." She drinks Yellow Tail (it's awful) every day and so I'm confident that my wine will be much better and stronger.

I have never made wine from grapes, only other fruits. Although muscadines are very similar to grapes. My first priority here is, what am I going to use? I know that chardonnay is made from chardonnay grapes, but none of those are available to me, so I will be going for either a grocery variety of white grape or an available juice. I'm looking for recommendations in this regard, to make a more-or-less chardonnayish flavor. Not a kit; homemade all the way.

Secondly, the additions. I will probably use a little apple and some wood chips, but what are some other natural ingredients that might go well in a chardonnay? Also I would greatly appreciate anyone with experience brewing chardonnay or a chardonnay like wine--not with a kit--because I can't find much on making it anywhere.

It will be 5 gallons or so. Also, I won't be adding any acidity whatsoever as the less acid for me, the better, and all grapes are already acidic enough that I can only eat them sparsely.

there are some concentrates available. Some canned and some in 1/2 jugs. You will need two of them to make 5 gallons. I don't know about Chardonnay but I made some pinot grigio and am very happy with the results. I got it from Home Winery.

Have you thought about a kit?

there are some concentrates available. Some canned and some in 1/2 jugs. You will need two of them to make 5 gallons. I don't know about Chardonnay but I made some pinot grigio and am very happy with the results. I got it from Home Winery.

Unfortunately for the time being, kits are too expensive, and the concentrates are as well. It simply isn't economical for us. Would I use that at a later time when it is possible? Yes. For now, though, it's just going to have to be either grapes or affordable juice or a combination.

I completely realize that I probably won't end up with "chardonnay," per se, but actually what I'm looking to brew is a white grape wine that is at least similar to a chardonnay. Typically I make fruit wines, and it is not expensive. Otherwise, I would just buy her a bottle of actual chardonnay (not Yellow Tail) and call it a day.

My only other concern is that it be more drinkable than Yellow Tail. I won't make something that unpleasant.

To begin with, would it be better to use juice/juices than to go with white grapes whole, or vice versa? Should the additional apple flavor come from juice or apple flesh?

We had a welches grape juice contest here a while back. I made a wine from white grape concentrate from walmart. I tried to add some of the flavors you associate with chardonnay but it honestly came out pretty awful. You're just going to have to experiment a lot.
Mike

Another option could be a juice bucket. 6 gallons in the $50-$60 range.

Chardonnay concentrate will run $30 for a 5 gallon batch:
http://homewinery.com/cgi-bin/concen.cgi

Not sure you can get grapes cheaper than $28-30.00......

Hm, that seems like it might be an option. I was thinking that finding affordable grapes and supplementing for the rest with a suitable juice would be how I would go, but it would probably wind up being thirty dollars or so anyway. I will explore both options.

It would be a perfect world if grapes, too, grew wild in the United States.

I do not know where you are located, but have you investigated if there are any merchants in your area dealing with fresh chardonnay grapes. A single 36 pound lug would get you about 2.5 gallons of wine for around $30.

Why beat around the bush? The best way to get a chardonnay type wine is to make an actual chardonnay. I hate to see you spend money on an experiment, only to have something that is undrinkable.

do not be so surprised at my post, just look at my avatar!

Latest posts

Back