Changing quantity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saylor

Reaction score
So I got my two new kits today. They are of the less expensive variety . I have got a lot of suggestions to cut the batch down to 5-5.5 gal. I know I need to top off but do I do that as soon as I rack from primary to secondary or do I wait till after I add ingredients for clearing and degassing ?
Thanks
John

Topping off is only required after all fermentation is completed. Just make sure to keep the wine under an air lock, starting at secondary.

Ok thank you so much..I just started my batch of Nero cab today . Added raisins but no sugar. Starting SG 1.091. Keeping my fingers crossed. I had all the ingredients mixed in the bucket and realized I only had one airlock that was still in use (oops guess I got a little anxious) . No fear tho. With a little bit of you tube research I found a way to make a homemade one.

Last edited:
Ok thank you so much..I just started my batch of Nero cab today . Added raisins but no sugar. Starting SG 1.091. Keeping my fingers crossed. I had all the ingredients mixed in the bucket and realized I only had one airlock that was still in use (oops guess I got a little anxious) . No fear tho. With a little bit of you tube research I found a way to make a homemade one.

Most of my wines, I do not airlock during the primary phase (although I have not done a kit yet - so those "rules" may be different with the kit you are doing). I simply cover loosely with a towel or the unlatched bucket lid. When I place the wine in the secondary, I use the airlock at that point.

One doesn't need an air lock during fermentation until the SG gets down to about 1.020 or lower. That's the point in your kit instructions where you go from primary fermentation to secondary fermentation. Until that point, just loosely cover the opening so flies and other critters can't get into the wine.

Thanks for the advice!! I have two dogs in the house that are maniacs! The only reason I airlock is with them running around kicking up dust and everything I don't want ANY of that in my wine. ( my house produces a lot of dust for some reason. Also we eat a TON of fruit so it's not common for a couple fruit flys to be buzzing around and I definitely don't want them in there . Yuc! I wish I could post pictures on here to show ya how I made the airlock cause its actually very simple but really effective . I just figure better safe then sorry.

Latest posts

Back