Cellar Dweller- mlf this month

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
November's Cellar Dweller issue from the Cornell Viticulture program features some topics on malolactic fermentation. It covers the basics of getting it going and then how to test for completion, using progressively complex and costly methods. I found it intersting and enlightening so figured I would share it.

Please remember this is put out by their program and all credit goes there
http://grapesandwine.cals.cornell.edu/cals/grapesandwine/outreach/enology/upload/CelDwel2-1.pdf

Good article!
smiley23.gif

Thanks for the link Appleman,

Im trying my first ever MLF this year (got a pail of some fresh Chard juice )
Its the accuvin strips for me .....

On a related subject, this year Im trying to do MLF on
a whole carboy ( but in racking down after primary I have
a 1.5 L bottle that I did not inoculate. )( thinking i could do some bench trials with blending. But that got me to thinking, if I blend (MLF with non-MLF) on a larger scale and then bottle a blend, am I risking making "champagne" at best ? ie: Does sorbate inhibit the mlf part from digesting the non-mlf part ? Or does one need to go the "sterile" filter route on this ?

Duane

like stated in one of the articles, sorbate inhibits yeast not bacteria, thus it will not prevent it from working with the untreated amount. Use some lysozyme on the untreated portion to prevent mlf from working on that.

Any way you can make it so I can print 3pages 8 1/2 X 11?

I'm not sure why it comes out in the weird format. It may even print on three pages if you try it- not sure. I may try it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back