Cellar Craft Cellar Craft Showcase LR Carmenere-Cabernet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, how long would you let it go in bulk aging if you added the tannin before bottling?

It needs a couple of months to fully integrate. I always add it after final racking and top up so it gets at least 6 months in the carboy to integrate. I have added a dose to a few bottles and let it sit for a week and it was still markedly improved over what it was. I am sitting on some CC Showcase (big) reds that are 18+ months now (that had tannin added up front before bottling) and they are by far the best wines I have made to date (kit wise).

It needs a couple of months to fully integrate. I always add it after final racking and top up so it gets at least 6 months in the carboy to integrate. I have added a dose to a few bottles and let it sit for a week and it was still markedly improved over what it was. I am sitting on some CC Showcase (big) reds that are 18+ months now (that had tannin added up front before bottling) and they are by far the best wines I have made to date (kit wise).

Mike-I have both a CC Red Mountain Cab and a CC Rosso Fortissimo that have been aging for about 5 months. Besides adding extra oak, I have been wondering if either of these kits are something you would add tannin to since I see you have made both.

Tannin is a personal thing. I happen to like big (massive) chewy reds and was always disappointed with my high end red kits (even with my Red Mountain Cab) until I started toying with post fermentation tannins. It was like viola' thats whats been missing all along (along with barrel aging of course). So yes, I am adding a dose of Tancor Grand Cru to all my reds.

Some a little more, some a little less depending on varietal. I added some to my CC Rosso Fortissimo after it was bottled. Its now one of my all time favorite wines as well. It will lengthen the finish dramatically. I highly recommend it if you are a little underwhelmed with the finish of your bold red kits.

Tannin is a personal thing. I happen to like big (massive) chewy reds and was always disappointed with my high end red kits (even with my Red Mountain Cab) until I started toying with post fermentation tannins. It was like viola' thats whats been missing all along (along with barrel aging of course). So yes, I am adding a dose of Tancor Grand Cru to all my reds.

Some a little more, some a little less depending on varietal. I added some to my CC Rosso Fortissimo after it was bottled. Its now one of my all time favorite wines as well. It will lengthen the finish dramatically. I highly recommend it if you are a little underwhelmed with the finish of your bold red kits.
I added two grams of Tancor Grand Cru to half of my Red Mountain Cab that is bulk aging. I also added medium french oak cubes. I compared the two last night and really like what the tannin has done for the wine. I am thinking I will probally do the same to the other half of the batch. Thanks for the tip, Mike.

Sounds good. I am thinking I may go up to 6 gm equivalent on 23L and see what that is like (on just a bottle of something at first) That is close to the recommended max of 7 gm per 23L.

Just a quick update on this guy. I popped a cork on a bottle last night. Had it with some beef short ribs and mashed potatoes. It is now about 2.5 years old and I have about 20 bottles left. In a word, it is breathtaking. The Carmenere and Cabernet have integrated fully as well as the tannin. The oak is freaking perfect. Its just seamless from the first glass to the last. The finish is long and doesn't want to quit. Commercial quality all the way. This will last another 3 years minimum, the wine won't thats for sure!

You're really making me wish I'd gotten into this hobby a year earlier. Sounds like a great kit.

The take home here is the LR Kits really do turn out a much higher quality wine. They are easily worth any extra cost.

The take home here is the LR Kits really do turn out a much higher quality wine. They are easily worth any extra cost.

I agree. I've only done three (two Red Mtn Trios and a CA Grand Red), but my kit production next year will be 75% LR kits. I've got one Spagnols, one WE, and one Kenridge on order and am doing a Yakima Valley Syrah as well.

There is a CC Carmenere-Cab in Winemaker Mag's top 100 - #61, if I recall correctly. I assume it's this one.

Sounds good. I am thinking I may go up to 6 gm equivalent on 23L and see what that is like (on just a bottle of something at first) That is close to the recommended max of 7 gm per 23L.

Glowin, I have converted 6 grams of tannins equal 1.2 teaspoons per 6 gallons of juice. Does that sound right to you?

Its possible. I would highly recommend one of the gram scales that can be had for ~$15 or so. Much more accurate than a measuring spoon!

Latest posts

Back