Cellar Craft Cellar Craft Rosso Fortissimo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dojack

Junior
Reaction score
I started this kit 12/04/09 followed directions doing everything I should and it shows no signs of clearing. Anyone else have trouble with this?
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

What was the liquid temperature when you did your degassing? How long did you degas and did you do it in the carboy or in your primary?

I'd bring the liquid temperature (not ambient!) up to 75F, siphon out about 1/2 a gallon and shake that up to degas, then hit the carboy with a drill mounted stirring device, alternating forward and reverse bursts for about 3 to 4 minutes, wait 20 minutes, then do it again. Top it all back up with the 1/2 gallon you took out, place the airlock on it, and wait for 2 more weeks to see what happens.

No mine cleared with no problems. I do wait about a month for mine to clear before I rack.

I have been looking for a wine kit that would result in a blend similar to something like the commercial Villa Antonoi Tuscano. It is a very nice Italian blend that has a lot of the earthy sangiovese flavor. I enjoy a sangiovese blend much more than the varietal by itself.

I know that the Villa Antonori Tuscano blend is a very nice wine and I may never get a kit wine to come close, but I can hope...

RJS has a Rosso Grande Eccelente, as well as a Super Tuscan.

Two questions:

What is the difference between RJS's Rosso Grand Eccelente and the RJS Super Tuscan?

Has anyone compared the RJS Rosso, RJS Super Tuscan, and Cellar Craft Rosso Fortissimo?

The Super Tuscan from RJS and the Rosso Fortissimo from CC would be the most similar. These are Super Tuscan blends that follow the rules of any Super Tuscan (there are no rules!). Both are nice bold reds, with definite Sangiovese character to them. Since it's a kit, we'll never know the blend varietals.

RJS has a wine in the Cellar Classic series that was called Rosso Grande, which is a very big red. This one was designed to be over the top. Big Jammy Fruit, big oak, big tannin, big everything. The only way they could follow it up, was to add skins and that's just what they did in the Winery Series with Rosso Grande Excellente. I would not call this a super tuscan, but rather a decadent Italian table wine. Big black fruit, heavy smokey oak, and chewy tannins. No finesse, no subtlety whatsoever.

I've had all 3 and all 3 are great. The RJS Super Tuscan is the one I'd choose. This is the most reached for wine when friends come over.

Dean,

Great writeup! Exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks bunches.

Don't the Italians call that "La Bomba Grande"
smiley36.gif

Dean said:
I would not call this a super tuscan, but rather a decadent Italian table wine. Big black fruit, heavy smokey oak, and chewy tannins. No finesse, no subtlety whatsoever....

Back