Cellar Craft cellar craft old vine zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrym98321

Junior
Reaction score
this is my first time ever making wine. I will be ready to bottle my zin in two weeksand i have been doing a bit of research online about bottling so i dont mess anything up. Somy kit mentions nothing about adding campden tablets just before bottling and did not come with any. All over the internet research says to add campden tablets before bottling.I have followed the instructions specifically to this point as far when to add all chemicals and additives. Do i go purchase the tablets and use them or just follow instructions.
Larry

Your kit came with enough Sulfite power to last at least 3-6 months in bulk aging before any additional would be required. As long as you added the package that came with the kit and it has been less than the bulk aging time frame stated above your good to go. I would also stay away from Camden Tablets. You have to crush them before use and sometimes they are made from Sodium MBS and not Potassium MBS. Most of us don't need any extra Sodium in our diets from wine. Stick with powdered Potassium MBS.

Hi, Larry. Welcome to FVW forums.

It sounds like you are following the instructions pretty closely. Keep in mind they are written for bottling in the bare minimum amount of time so the manufacturers can claim "make wine in 4 weeks" or similar. That is good for attracting people to the hobby of kit winemaking, but not so great for making the best wine you can.

What I am saying, is that is a good idea to let the wine sit in a properly topped up carboy for a couple of months, at least, before bottling. Also, make sure your wine is fully degassed before bottling. Gassy wine is very disappointing and many new kit winemakers (yes, myself included) experience this.

Latest posts

Back