Cellar Craft CC Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel w/Grape Pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randoneur

Reaction score
Just started this Showcase kit. I've done a few kits before, but this is the first time using a grape pack.

Started yesterday morning. The grape pack has not floated up from the bottom of the bucket. I expected to have to punch it down like I do the cap on fresh grapes!

Is this normal???? BTW the fermentation took off like a rocket with room temp at 70F

My OVZ is only 8 months old, so I haven't tasted it yet. Many forum members rave about it.

If the fermentation is going strong, it won't take long until the GP traps the gas and rises to the top.

Cheers!

Yea, that grape pack should float to the top (multiple times each day) after fermentation gets going unless you weighted it down with something.

i am not a kit person..but was always curious about something...do you folks think that the CC Showcase or other CC brand as a group is better than...equal to..or of less quality than the Mosti grouping....and how do you rank these compared to wine from grapes themselves?

For me I never have done a Mosti kit. However I have done many CC and WE kits. The main difference I have found is I get better consistent wines from CC compared to WE. My favorite so far is the Old Vine CC.

Compared to actual wine it all depends. I like the kits because I can get a good wine when a certain grape or style is impossible for me to get. This allows me to try different things. Plus its quicker to go through all stages and the setup is already done (ph,ta,so2). However when I can get grapes or when mine are ready I love using real grapes.

I can't say much about one kit company vs. another kit companysince this is my very first Cellar Craft kit and have only done a fewother kits period.
I saw all those CC kits marching through Mike's Chateau and into bottles and decided I had to try one myself!!

How about RJS Ole Vine Zin Winery Series compared to CC Showcase. I believe the CC Showcase has18 liters of juice compared to 16 liters for RJS WS, then it's dry grape pack vs wet. Does anyone have results comparing these Zins?

I have had 2 MM AJ just now hit the 14 mo mark as well as 2 CC Showcase kits.

Both are very good at the moment as long as you open them up and give em some good air time. I can't say one is better than the other really. I will have quite a few more CC Showcase and MM Renaissance kits hitting the 12 mo mark all by Xmas timeframe.

Right now I like the CC Showcase reds for their grape packs. I can't help but think that in another 6-12 months those wines are really going to be showing (and drinking) well!

randoneur said:
Just started this Showcase kit. I've done a few kits before, but this is the first time using a grape pack.

Started yesterday morning. The grape pack has not floated up from the bottom of the bucket. I expected to have to punch it down like I do the cap on fresh grapes!

Is this normal???? BTW the fermentation took off like a rocket with room temp at 70F
It may take a day or two before enough CO2 builds up to float the grape pack, but it definitely will float.  Also remember that the CC grape pack is loaded with gooey jelly-like semi-solids, which will need to be broken down some before the pack will float.

Al Fulchino said:
i am not a kit person..but was always curious about something...do you folks think that the CC Showcase or other CC brand as a group is better than...equal to..or of less quality than the Mosti grouping....and how do you rank these compared to wine from grapes themselves?

I have made only one MM Ren. - the Amorone, which has raisins and not a grape pack. I have made only one CC kit - Cab/shiraz blend. About all I can say is I prefer a nice grape pack over raisins.

Neither kit will have the fullness and body of a wine made from fresh/frozen grapes.

I have made several W.E kits. I don't care what Tim V. says, there IS definitely a unique, unpleasant kit taste that came with every W.E kit I have made. All I can do is hope that after a couple of years, that taste will subside. I just don't see how I will ever make another one.

The grape pack took a little over aday to come up. Fills up like a balloon as it is fermenting. Really looks and smells good now.

S.G. is down to 1.054 already.

randoneur said:
The grape pack took a little over aday to come up. Fills up like a balloon as it is fermenting. Really looks and smells good now.

S.G. is down to 1.054 already.

It will start slowing down a little at this point. Keep that grape pack pushed down - at least twice each day.

Instruction for this kit call for me to degass and add K Meta and Sorbate at day 22. I have delayed this for a week because I still have very fine bubbles rising in the carboy, S.G. was 0.995 yesterday.
Questions:
Should I add the Sorbate as per directions if I plan to age in the carboy out to 6 months before bottling??????
Doesn't Sorbate change the flavor of the wine, especially after a coupleyears in the bottle???

Sorbate is optional as long as it ferments to dry. I seem to be really sensitive to it and added it into my first few batches but have not added it since with out any problems. I would add it into any kit with a post fermentation F-pack. Any back sweetening means you have sugar that could start fermenting in the bottle down the road.

The sorbate smell/taste does dissipate in about 6-9 months in the bottle.

As long as you are using good sanitizing techniques and the wine is dry you don't have to add it in.

Mike,
out of curiosity, in what ways are you sensitive to sorbates? How would you describe the taste/smell?

Bacci,
In about 6 months I may be able to give my initial opinion on this comparison. I made both kits last winter and are both around 9-10 months since fermention. I bulk aged for 9 months and can say that they tasted similar at bottling. I don't have my notes with me at work but I added 2 oak spirals to one of the kits as it appeared to me a bit light on the oak.

I can smell it, I can taste it.

Its a funky sweet/chemical taste/smell that will dissipate over time but until then I can't bring myself to drink any of it.
smiley11.gif

RickC said:
Mike,
out of curiosity, in what ways are you sensitive to sorbates? How would you describe the taste/smell?

by the way, just received my RJS ZIN WS and came with two packs of Sorbate. I called to ask another question about SG - I thought it was kind of low, just getting to 1.09 and also asked about adding both sorbate packs and she said do it. Just started mine and going to the secondary tomorrow, will determine that at a later date. When did you add extra oak?

Mike,
So, if I age 6 months in the carboy, it takes an additional 6-9 months in the bottle for the sorbate taste to dissipate?
I'm betting that you are you sensitive to high sulfide too.

I do want to start drinking this wine fairly early. I'm going to make a few kits to use while my wine from grapes age.

Back