CARBOY SHORTAGE and broken carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termini

Reaction score
I will repeat a quote I heard in Amway once: " if you beat your head against the wall long enough, your ears will pop out, and you can hear what the experts are saying!" Because I now know the wisdom of the forum quote" an empty carboy is nobody's playground"so I am picking up 2 more 6.5's and 3 6's. The wisdom I learned is that :I can't enjoy these wines in the months to come if I don't get them in the fermenters NOW! Duh.

-I had a carboy fracture on me when I dropped my Mity Vac tool on it while vacuum degassing the Kiwi Pear--funny how things happen in slow motion.......every thing held together while I wondered at the fracture staring back at me--that is until I released the vacuum!!!!! it broke on top and I only lost about a quart or two.I went off the page and funny that me wifey never heard a word of my tyrade, even though see was directly above me taking a shower, because when she came downstairs, she wanted to know why I had all her bath towels all over the floor, and why they all smelled like yeast.---I grunted.

BY THE WAY I SAW A DISCUSSION ON ANOTHER SITE FORUM ABOUT THE NORTH AMERICAN MANUFACTURER OF CARBOYS CLOSING.THE PRICES OF 6 AND 6.5'S HAVE GONE UP FROM 22.00 TO 38.00 WITH NO 6.5'S AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.( at two of the three suppliers in my area- St. Paul)If this is true, I was wondering if this notice has gone out to the various forums about this? The discussion said that an Italian firm may be coming on line soon...
Please don't crucify me on this( GEORGE), but a local supplier still has the 6 gallons at21.50 and 6.5's at 23.50 : MIDWEST SUPPLY
20080710_185830_carboy.JPG
Edited by: termini

I had a friend of mine that bought some Carmenere grapes with me from Chili this spring. At the last racking he was doing he put the wine in a green demijohn and he noticed a little wine on the floor and didn't remember spilling any. When he went to pick up the demijohn the bottom fell out and he lost the entire 5 gallons of wine onto the basement floor. I heard his screaming at home 20 miles away!!

I just snagged two 5 gallon carboys on craigslist.com for $20. Perfect shape, they just need a good cleaning. Guess its a good thing I got them!

Last year I bought brand new 5 gallon carboys for $16 a piece. I bought 5 of them. When I got home I made wooden crates that completely surround them. I have8five gallon, 4 three gallon and two 6 gallon carboys all in wooden crates that I have built. The crates make them easy to store because I can stack them 4 high on their sides.

coriasco....If your carboys are stacked on their sides....then, they must be empty.

Can't have that around here.

I have a couple stored in plastic milk crates...they fit nicely in them...They are 8 gallon ones we got at a garage sale and don't use....just too big to lift.

Latest posts

Back