Carboy deposits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termini

Reaction score
I picked up a 5 gallon carboy this weekend at a steal! 3.00!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Just what I needed because I only have 2 6.5 gallon carboys and I have two batches at 4.5 gallons that I will need advice on in another post.
Anyways, this bargain carboy had some oven cleaner or 409 in it, I flushed it out, cleaned it with PBW cleaner, and noticed that it has a lot of that haze in it—much like what glass looks like after many cycles through the dishwasher.
I remember seeing a posted discussion on this, but can’t find it.
If I let some water/ vinegar mixture sit in it for a while, do you think that may take some of that haze off? And even if it doesn’t after all the cleaning, brushing and k-meta do ya think that it is good enough to use –even though it won’t be as clear as I hoped—just a little worried what might have been in there in the first place( or later in it’s life) to cause that.

I believe that extremely harsh cleaners like oven cleaner when left for greater than 24 hours will etch the glass. To my knowledge, once etched, there is nothing to get rid of that. I've heard that cleaning with vodka and brass or copper shot will help remove some hazes if it is not glass etching.

Cool. If that is truly the case, then I won't worry about it as I'm sure any bacteria hiding in the roughness of the etching would be taken care of when it is sanitized with K-Meta.Its just an asthetic, visual thing at this point then. Edited by: termini

If it isn't etched as Dean was talking about, one good trick to clean porcelain or glass is to use Coca-Cola. Between the carbonic and phosphoric acids in there, if you leave it sit for a bit, it tends to take care care some residues and is a low-cost alternative. In addition, since the pH is low, it shouldn't cause etching. Think of it as the 'magic scrubbing bubbles' option. :)
- Jim

I would just try some Oxy-Clean in it soaked overnight. If that don't clean it to clear, it probably isn't going to come off. I routinely clean my flask I make yeast starters in with burnt on DME in it that a scrub brush won't even scratch. I add a scoop of oxyclean, fill to the top and let it soak overnight. It is crystal clear clean the next day. If your glass is etched though, as noted it will not be clear.

Also, if it is etched, a simple soak in sanitizer will not automatically mean any scratches are sanitized. You will probably be fine if you have cleaned really well and scrubbed with a carboy brush and then sanitized but you will have to really be diligent with the cleaning of that vessel. I really doubt it is etched though, It is probably a alkali film which you still may not be able to get off. Give it a try and remember to rinse really, really, really, really well.

i would use be brite and if that doesn't do it in a 1/2 hour or overnight then i wouldn't use them//thats my take on it//

I will try those two methods, but if it doesn't work, I don't think it is worth the gamble to put what I worked so hard at and invested in a compramised container. That is alot of wine to put down the drain with my wife looking at me with" the look"---you guys know what I'm talking about!

THAT LOOK COULD LAST A LIFE TIME AND ALSO THAT I TOLD YOU SO,IF IT DOESN"T LOOK CLEAN&lt;IT PROBLY ISN'T

joeswine you crack me up with some of the icons.

Yes the look like when my wife will see the credit card bill from all the items I have been ordering to make this "simple wine recipe".

Good luck with the clearing of the carboy.

Remember it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission.

You could use the carboy to make a lovely terrarium (sp) for your wife!
smiley2.gif

And why do you show your credit card bill to your wife? I never look at Bert's bills. I don't want to know!
smiley3.gif

Funny where the conversations go, from cleaning a carboy to spouses and finances.

I don't have the option of showing her the bill, she does all of the books. Go ahead and say it.

Nothing else use the carboy to keep spare change in and empty it every year or two and buy her something nice.

Scott said:
Funny where the conversations go, from cleaning a carboy to spouses and finances.

I don't have the option of showing her the bill, she does all of the books. Go ahead and say it.
I'd LOVE to have someone to take care of bill payment for me! I'm jealous! I'd even provide the money!
smiley36.gif

Scott, I found a 5 gal tinted blue carboy at a thrift store for $3!! It has the white type stain in the glass. I cleaned it with cleaner and the sanitizer with very hot water. I have used it a couple of times without any problem at all.
It was once a water dispenser for a company as it has the company name and logo etched in the glass.
smiley4.gif

Sorry that I have not been in the forum lately, many floatplanes to get in the air and out to customers.
I got the carboy into shape, more or less. I cleaned it with Vinnegar, PBW and then with Oxyclean, followed with One step and finally with K-meta.
Am trying it out with my Dandelion wine. I am hoping to get some pictures up of my carboy set up. I have 2 of Dandelion, 1 of WE Liefraumilch, 1 of WE Island Mist Black Rasberry, and 1 of WE Island Mist Kiwi pear.
20080710_190721_DSC01639.JPG

I will repeat a quote I heard in Amway once: " if you beat your head against the wall long enough, your ears will pop out, and you can hear what the experts are saying!" Because I now know the wisdom of the forum quote" an empty carboy is nobody's playground"so I am picking up 2 more 6.5's and 3 6's. The wisdom I learned is that :I can't enjoy these wines in the months to come if I don't get them in the fermenters NOW! Duh.

-I had a carboy fracture on me when I dropped my Mity Vac tool on it while vacuum degassing the Kiwi Pear--funny how things happen in slow motion.......every thing held together while I wondered at the fracture staring back at me--that is until I released the vacuum!!!!! it broke on top and I only lost about a quart or two.I went off the page and funny that me wifey never heard a word of my tyrade, even though see was directly above me taking a shower, because when she came downstairs, she wanted to know why I had all her bath towels all over the floor, and why they all smelled like yeast.---I grunted.

BY THE WAY I SAW A DISCUSSION ON ANOTHER SITE FORUM ABOUT THE NORTH AMERICAN MANUFACTURER OF CARBOYS CLOSING.THE PRICES OF 6 AND 6.5'S HAVE GONE UP FROM 22.00 TO 38.00 WITH NO 6.5'S AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.( at two of the three suppliers in my area- St. Paul)If this is true, I was wondering if this notice has gone out to the various forums about this? The discussion said that an Italian firm may be coming on line soon...
Please don't crucify me on this( GEORGE), but a local supplier still has the 6 gallons at21.50 and 6.5's at 23.50 : MIDWEST SUPPLYEdited by: termini

yes its true the Mexicans are no longer making them only the Italians,so their fore supply and demand,go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back