Carboy 6 gall . vs 6.5 gall.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2PUPs

Reaction score
I am going to the LHBS and picking up a few items . One being a glass carboy , was wondering if I should get the 6 or the 6.5 one . Recomendations appreciated .

If you will be making kits, do NOT get the 6.5 US gallon one. Otherwise, you adjust your recipes to match the size of your carboys.

Steve

I agree.. Personally i like the 6.5 gallon ones better - the glass is smooth and not rigid like the 6 gallon ones.

Ditto everything said above but I didn't think 6 gallon carboys were even available anymore. When you get home check it out. Unless if your talking about plastic Better Bottles.

Like cpfan says. If you're doing kits, 6 gallon. And you'll still be topping off. I believe the 6's are actually a little larger. IMO

Like cpfan says. If you're doing kits, 6 gallon. And you'll still be topping off. I believe the 6's are actually a little larger. IMO

The last 6s I got ended up being 6g + ~750ml ...

I do 2x3g -- they're easier to lift. :)

I know, I know... I need to buy one of wade's pumps.

If youhave a pump the bigger the better, it takes up way less space to have 1 6 then 2 3'ers and you dont have to lift except when empty to clean. If making from fruit then I like to have all of the above and then some. This way you can keep racking down and never need topping up. I have all sizes. 6.5, 6, 5, 3, 1, 3 liter, magnum, 750ml, and 375ml and the bungs to match!

A 6.5 is handy if you use a vacuum pump - I use one as a receiving vessel when vacuum racking and the extra headroom is useful for foaming.

FishNiX I agree 2 3gal is what I use easier to lift and also can sweeten to 2 different levels.

I've found it handy to rack from the top of a 6 into the bucket to bottle half and rack the other half to a 3g.

You can never have enough carboys of different sizes. I have a collection like Wade described with stoppers/airlocks for all sizes.

Latest posts

Back