Candy Cane

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitched my yeast this morning, hope to get peppermint wine as oppsed to TBC. Still have a lot of Candy canes left over.

photo5.jpg

haha that lab reminds me of college chemistry class. how much of that was purchased and how much grew legs and walked out of work??

btw i'm totally jealous now.

haha that lab reminds me of college chemistry class. how much of that was purchased and how much grew legs and walked out of work??

btw i'm totally jealous now.

Nearly all was either purchased or given to me. I also go to auctions and check Craig's list You don't accumulate it over night. I had a good friend (Kevininpa) teach me a lot and I took it to the next level. He is in the process of opening his own winery, which will probably open this year. I have actually borrowed things from my own lab to take to work.
You'll soon learn when you buy from scientific sites it pays to buy everything you think you might need or more at one time since the shipping is nearly the same (very high for the first initial item).

JULIE can you please explain what you mean by that silly remark!:wy:sh

:sh
IMAG0719.jpg

IMAG0718.jpg

Ok,,after seeing all of that,,,Julie!!!! I need you to take me to his cellar!!! :HB

I recognize those racks; I have 2 of those Sam's Club racks too. Afraid to more in the closet though because it is in an upstairs bedroom.

Doug, wine making is what I do. I've kick around the idea of beer and may have to in the future, just to know and understand the hobby. Once you learn how to do different test professionally it makes you want to have it at home. On the other hand I buy equipment at home so I can learn how to use it in my everyday profession. Believe me I'm not done. There is still one piece of equipment I've been looking at for several years now but still have not pulled the trigger.

Another piece I don't own but would not buy new because I don't think I would really use it much is an ebulliometer. Another member has been posting about making one of this at home which I'm interested in though.

So you are a Professional wine maker with wine making as a hobby too?
Best of both worlds :h
It's been said many times, find something you like so much that you would do it for free, then do it professionally.

Here's my candy cane two days after pitching the yeast....looks happy so far...and smells even better.

candy cane must2.jpg

Doug, I could argue that point either way. I always believed not to make a profession of your hobby because then it's no longer "fun". That has not been the case though. It let me take it to the next level at home learning and understanding so much more. Yes, I do love my job.

:sh [IMG said:
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac293/dmw879/IMAG0719.jpg[/IMG]
IMAG0718.jpg

<ticker tape going off in the background>...."in local news, edinborough county police have discovered an underground meth lab, and the feds have seized and exhorbinat amount of equipment"....roflmao....sorry, dan...couldn't resist, because with all that (don't get me wrong, i am both impressed, and understand it is your profession as well), it truly looks like you COULD do more than just make wine with all that....lol....:)

Doug, I could argue that point either way. I always believed not to make a profession of your hobby because then it's no longer "fun". That has not been the case though. It let me take it to the next level at home learning and understanding so much more. Yes, I do love my job.
Yes, I've heard it both ways too, but doing something you like sure beats doing something you don't like.
For instance...I'm an Engineer
I took Engineering in school, because a Marine Biologist was not yet a job you could apply for...only in academics on a grant. I wanted a real job.
So I took Engineering.
I now have a nephew who drives a remote submersible (called Alvin), mapping the ocean floor commercially....
Now that's a job I could have handled 40 years ago but it didn't exist.
His wife is a volcanologist, to sweeten things even more, and my brother has lived on the big Island for 30 plus years now....me thinks our lives were switched.

Terry, don't worry we will going sometime this summer and Dan is right there is much more what he does not show is the secret wine cellar :sh

Latest posts

Back