Can you cork beer bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you just need a little less head space in your bottle. I doubt you would accomplish anything more with a hand corker and a hammer if you're using a two handed floor corker.

I'm bottling 30 bottles of rhubarb right this moment.

I'm having a horrible time with the corker - sometimes it goes in too deep, sometimes too shallow - there's at least one now i have to re-do.

It depends on how fast you do it , how smooth, where the adjustment is I'll need 10,000 bottles to figure this out.

The cork gets a shot of KMETA (to make it slide in easier) and goes in the hole, the red cap goes on top of that, a rag or thick layer of duct tape goes on top of that, and I tap the cork home with my hammer.

Ok that worked .
They say you are supposed to put the corks in dry but this time i lightly immersed corks in the sanitizer , gave a shake so is just a little on the outside - tried three of them - the corks went in smooth.

With this i can make the adjustment thingee to mean something constant and can use constant smooth power.

Think i can get more control now.

Does it spin if you try to twist off like a normal twist off cap?

It does twist off just like the original twist cap. It is tight enough that I can't twist it off with my bare hand. (Don't have the grip I use to have I guess), but with a shirt tail or rag, I can twist it off. It also seems to twist back closed.
Lamar

I tried my bottle capper on a Bud Light Platinum twist-off bottle with some water in it, and it seems to be held on good as far as I can tell. No leakage and is very tight.
Lamar

Very pretty bottle. it dont blame you for wanting to use it but Id be afraid to cork it. for one thing it flares out at the top. I brake the cork in half shove it in as far as it go's by hand and tell them to drink it right away lol :ib

Be aware that bottles in different countries are not the same. I'm told US bottles are thinner.

I have used twist off beer bottles for 20 years and they work fine. Have I ever broke a bottle while capping? Of course. Have I ever broke a top while opening with an opener? Yes again but its happened with screw tops and regular tops. Its more of an issue of a damage bottle than anything else.

In the past I used my shirt to twist off the caps till my wife got tired of the little holes that started showing up in my shirts. Home capped bottles are not as smooth as store boughts.

cheers

I had 500 cc (plus 200 cc) of crabapple left over- it definitively needed to be aged.

I corked a 500 ml beer bottle - the kind with the rubber stopper on a hinge - i did a test run and then corked the crabapple twice as the first time I forgot to leave ullage.

No problem - but it's funny on all three as it started to go in I was on a tilt and it was hard to finish with the two handed floor corker
One try was fully corked - the other mushroomed a little.

Latest posts

Back