Can you add Fruit after fermentation has started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osborngj

Reaction score
I'm going to head the advise of someone here and try to add more fruit. Today the fermentation took off though.
Can I still add fruit?
Do I have to do somehting special to sanitize the fruit first?
Should I add pectic enzyme again?

Holy crap I'm in over my head....

Relax, if it just started you can add the fruit right now and since its already fermenting youll be fine adding the clean fruit now. The yeast packet you added will have no problem over powering any wild yeast since its already started. If you added the alotted amount of pectic enzyme already then there is no need to add any more. Just watch the specific gravity if you already have it high already as you are adding additional sugars at this point. What was the starting gravity you had before fermentation?

It was low at 1.073. I'm adding 8 lbs of strawberries. But have not idea what the brix rating on them are. Actually don't even know how to check that. I am also going to add a little more honey to bump it up more. I think.

Dont worry about the brix, just take another gravity reading right before adding the fruit and another about 8 hours after adding the fruit and that will probably give you a real close total and just add the difference to where you started for a beginning SG. Make sure you break the fruit up good to get that pectin in the wine in there to do its job good.

do cook the honey at about 130 for about 10 minutes. I use the finger test, as soon as it is to hot to hold my finger in the warming honey, it is real close to 130

I dnt cook my honey at all, I think it helps retain its flavor better. The scum if any will settle out.

The lady at the honey place I go to said as long as you don't go over 130 you won't affect the taste. The mead place in town cooks it at 170 for 1 hour. I am not going that far. I heat it to help break down the sugar compounds for the yeasties

Latest posts

Back