Can someone provide the low down on yeasts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Can someone provide the low down on yeasts?

Red yeast
Champagne Yeasts
Cote Des Blancs

Lavin 71B-1122
EC-1118
K1V-1116

Lavin is a brand I'm assuming.

What is the main difference between these yeasts and when do you want to use which for what?

TIA

The most I can tell you is to stay AWAY from either red star or montrochet. These yeasts are VERY prone to yeast breakdown. Go with lalvin.

Of course, different yeasts offer slight differences in flavor. Unless you decide that you want to use specific yeasts to use with specific grape varietals, I would start by trying the following as a rule of thumb.....

For red - RC-212
For white - D47
All others - EC1118

The above is just a suggestion. I have had great success with all of the above, but others may disagree.

johnT.

That's a nice chart that was linked above. The lalvin web site also has some useful info:

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

My limited experience is that Wine Expert uses RC212 in the high-end kits, and EC1118 is most of the rest. KenRidge uses EC1118 in everything. EC1118 is a fast bullet-proof fermenter, while RC212 takes longer, produces less CO2, and is supposed to retain more character of the grape.

The most I can tell you is to stay AWAY from either red star or montrochet. These yeasts are VERY prone to yeast breakdown. Go with lalvin.

Of course, different yeasts offer slight differences in flavor. Unless you decide that you want to use specific yeasts to use with specific grape varietals, I would start by trying the following as a rule of thumb.....

For red - RC-212
For white - D47
All others - EC1118

The above is just a suggestion. I have had great success with all of the above, but others may disagree.

johnT.

Also 71b 1122 is good for fruit wines. Here is a link to show what lavlin yeast to use
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

Latest posts

Back