Can I use skins 2X in succession?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francois_du_nord

Fermenting Trough Wiper
Reaction score
I was wondering if you could use skins from a kit that had them and immediately follow the first ferment on skins with a kit that didn't have them?

I've seen that you don't want to keep them in primary too long, so there must be additional tannins and colors left, or are those more astringent or otherwise undesirable?

TIA, Fran

Many of us to something like that. You can gain some color and a little flavor although it will be on the lighter side.

I have taken a 6 gallon must with skins, added to a 3 1/2 gallon batch of sugar water and made a blush. It helps to back sweeten with a juice concentrate to boost flavor.

Doubt you will get a wine that's top shelf but can be okay. You could also turn it into a skeeter per of that grapes or fruit flavor.

I've reused the skins that I got in one kit in another kit that didn't come with any and found it does still add a little something.If you don't have use for the skins right away you can put them in an airtight container and freeze them. I always get 2 uses out of my skins

Most Excellent. Thank you for the prompt replies. Maybe I could use two grape paks from a double ferment in a follow-on single and thereby double the weakened remnants?

Certainly worth thinking about since I want to get a double batch started of something with skins that will have some punch and will age for a goodly length of time.

I'll keep y'all posted.

This morning I took the fruit bag out of my blueberry/blackberry/strawberry DB as it was @.995 and tossed it into my Cranberry batch whitch is still at 1.030 and its has really started kicking again. I always try to get double duty out of my leftovers.

Latest posts

Back