Can I add Chitosan without Kielselsol?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGW

Junior
Reaction score
I made a mistake and added the first packet of Kielselsol at the beginning of the primary fermentation. Fermentation seem unaffected and have a specific gravity of .991. So i added the second packet during the stabilizing stage (Step 2). Today I am suppossed to add the second packet of kielselsol and then the Chitosan. I have no Kielselsol left to add. Can I add the Chitosan alone and let the clearing process go on a few extra days? Or, is it critical enough that I should run out today/tomorrow and find some Kielselsol (I am not close to a wine making store.)
Thank you for any advice.

Add the chitosan.

K&C are used in conjunction because it's faster than either alone, but both work by themselves.

Fining agents strip things from wine, so it's best to not overdose.
Speaking of overdosing. My first FWK about two years ago smelled and tasted fantastic after primary. Roughly 18 days in a closed fermenter. The I added K&C and bottled. 18 months later it didn’t have that incredible nose and taste. It didn’t make any sense to me. Then I started reading about K&C stripping your wine. Starting to rethink theses fining agents. Also, and I posted this in another thread, FWK encloses twice as much K&C in their packets as recommended if you buy a bottle and follow the directions on the label. FWK are measured in ml and the bottle is in ounces. I recently used these fining agents with one half the amount. One ounce of chitosan per 5-6 gallons. FWK supplies 75 ml or more than two onces. Kieselsol is 12 ml where the bottle indicates.25 oz. Or 7 ml.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back