Cellar Craft Cabernet - Shiraz bitter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
I bottled the Cabernet-Shiraz today that I had started back in November. I only had a little taste, but it tasted "bitter." I don't mean "not sweet" but a little bitter.

Has anyone else experienced this in any of their wines?

Comments/suggestions???

What kit was it?

Unfortunately, many of these kits bitter taste can be attributed to increased levels of sulfites.......or the wine wasn't fully degassed at bottling. Or the bitterness can be combination of these....

Depending on the kit....the wine may need several months in the bottle....

PA, I appreciate your reply.

It was the regular CC Cabernet-Shiraz kit. I have done over 40 different kits and have never detected anything I would consider "bitter" at bottling.

I normally do not even open the first bottle until after a year -that's just to "try it." I try to not start drinking the wine in earnest until 18-24 months.

The bitterness could be a result of the tannins in the wine. The better quality ones have more tannins and thus take longer to age. That's part of the reason a good red from a winery needs to be 2-5 years old before release. You didn't by chance add tan-cor to the kit did you?

Latest posts

Back