C Brite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosa6329

Reaction score
So my wine kit came with several packages of C Brite. When diluting this powder with water to rise my tools do I have to rinse it off again with fresh water or just spray the c brite and then use it?

I think C brite may be chlorine based. I have read previous discussions to stay away from chlorine based products in wine making (something about cork taint). I use oxyclean for cleaning, followed by a good rinse. I then sanitize with iodophor or a k meta solution. Some swear by star san.

I have used the pink stuff for years as a cleaning product. It is chlorine based. I make sure to rinse everything very well afterwards and then sterilize with k-meta. a freind uses the same but omits the k-meta and neither of us has had any issues. I would never use it on corks. The owner of Wine Kitzs in halifax who does brew on site, also uses it and he is still in business so I guess we all use what works.

I have used the pink stuff for years as a cleaning product. It is chlorine based. I make sure to rinse everything very well afterwards and then sterilize with k-meta. a freind uses the same but omits the k-meta and neither of us has had any issues. I would never use it on corks. The owner of Wine Kitzs in halifax who does brew on site, also uses it and he is still in business so I guess we all use what works.

So if I have a bucket with C-Brite then another with K-meta then another one with water. Putting my tools through each bucket will be good enough right?

I wash tools with hot soapy water. Rinse well. Spray with k meta. Use. Clean afterwards. Dry till next time.

I wash tools with hot soapy water. Rinse well. Spray with k meta. Use. Clean afterwards. Dry till next time.

K-meta is also campden tablets which is 1 tablet per gallon right? After spraying campden do you need to rinse again with fresh water or no?

I always used my pink cleaner as a fresh batch. I dont use a bucket to rinse. Always running water. I rince large items like carboy at least 4 times by adding water swishing it around.

K-meta is also campden tablets which is 1 tablet per gallon right? After spraying campden do you need to rinse again with fresh water or no?

K-meta is 3 tablespoons per gallon for sanitizing solution. No need to rinse.
Not sure what the campden equivalent is. I've heard they are a pita to use. I just buy a bag of potassium metabisulfite.

Anything metal should be rinsed off with water and dried to avoid corrosion since Kmeta is a salt.

1 campden tablet crushed per gallon. Easy to crush, put in plastic bag and tap lightly with hammer untill broken up , then dump into your must.

1 campden tablet crushed per gallon. Easy to crush, put in plastic bag and tap lightly with hammer untill broken up , then dump into your must.

Doug, I think she was referring to a sanitizing solution. You are referring to SO2 protection in the must/wine---correct?? :?

Yes,I was meaning for the must, sorry got side tracked.
But I agree for sanitising just get some K Meta add 2 oz per gallon. Keep it in a gallon jug and continue to use it from there. It lasts a long time.

c brite solution

Can I keep re using c brite solution if I keep it in a bucket. So basically keep the solution in the bucket to dunk my tools into them then rinsing with warm water? How long would it last in the bucket before I need to make up a new solution?

What do you recommend for a solution using kmeta and water? Also, once u cleaned with kmeta do u have to rinse it fresh water before coming into contact with wine?

Three tablespoons of K-meta to a gallon of water. No need to rinse after using K-meta solution.

Latest posts

Back