Burnt Out!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetwine

Advanced Idiot
Reaction score
Well, the obsession died for me, that's why I've been MIA. Had a couple gallons go from great to nasty while bulk aging. Included was my beloved SP I had been babying. On the plus side the Watermelon has started to clear. I guess at Christmas when we crack a bottle the motivation might come back. I sure hope so, we just dropped a couple hundred on supplies for my Christmas present. Does this happen to yall, or am I wierd? (JohnT, I think I know your answer... LOL!)

I spend less time making wine than I used to, but I actually make more wine. I don't do as much experimenting anymore, I've found some of my favorites and make them more often or in larger batches. I have much more equipment than when I started, so I can afford to let it sit until the urge to work on wine stikes me.

If some of them went bad Im guessing they werent topped up correctly or they werent sulfited properly or both. Both of those things should be in check or failure is iminent eventually. For me the I have never lost the obsession so far.

Obsession still going strong. I'm guessing the batches going bad may have made you question the hobby. Open one of you bottles that you know are good and reap the rewards of your efforts. I currently have 60 gallons bulk aging. I'm looking forward to the Chilean juices in the spring.

Enjoy and Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Well, the obsession died for me, that's why I've been MIA. Had a couple gallons go from great to nasty while bulk aging. Included was my beloved SP I had been babying. On the plus side the Watermelon has started to clear. I guess at Christmas when we crack a bottle the motivation might come back. I sure hope so, we just dropped a couple hundred on supplies for my Christmas present. Does this happen to yall, or am I wierd? (JohnT, I think I know your answer... LOL!)

Closet: Let me make one thing perfectly clear. I feel and share your pain. I have had many failures over the years. I remember in 1999 I had 500 liters of white burgandy oxidize on me! I think that it would be inhumane to tease you about this.

Whenever I had a batch of wine "go south" on me, I pushed the fustration aside and tried to use the disaster as a learning experience. I always made it a point to find answers to the following questions....

'What is wrong with this"?
"What Happened"?
"Can I correct This"?
"How can I prevent this in the future'?

Being able to answer the above questions added to my knowledge base and ended up making me a much better wine maker. When I looked at it the right way, the diasters I experienced, and the lessons I have learned from them were far more valuable then the few good bottles of wine I expected.

In New Jersey, the Mob calls this "making your bones"

Keep at it. We need folks like you. If anything you keep us wine snobs in check.

johnT.

Call it an education. Look over your notes, read up more and start again. Knock on wood I've never had any wine go bad on me. I have a good bit shelved and in the process, actually I can't get into the room anymore.

Find out what went wrong. It's usually the simplist thing although we tend to look for a hard answer.

Good Luck and sad for your loss.

My interest waned for a bit, and I decided to work myself down to 3 batches going at a time. If I can get one bottled soon I'll be there, and I can start a new one, which I've been waiting to do. If I can balance it that way I won't burn out.

I think the thing I dislike the most is racking. I love starting a new batch, love bottling one, love drinking it (of course). But with 6-8 batches going it seemed like I spent all weekend racking - every weekend. I really envy you guys that have your dedicated wine rooms!

I started making home made vinegar this year with some the wines that I don't find as pleasing to drink. They make pretty good vinegar though. I have a couple of diabetics in the family and a few that are on the "no gluten" and "no wine" fad; they're getting vinegar for Christmas. I know.. I know... when they tell their friends what they got for Christmas... it'll sound like they were naughty this year, almost like getting coal in your stocking, but it is really good vinegar with a sprig of rosemary in the bottle.

In the true spirit of the season and to rid your house of unwanted clutter send me your address, I'll drive over and get all that nasty equipment out of your house... like Santa in reverse. No need to thank me. Some people enjoy making it, some people enjoy drinking it, some lucky people enjoy both. Ho, ho, ho. bk

My obsession for drinking wine keeps me going. :)

I've never really been hooked on wine making. I was obsessed with beer for a while, though. I had about 3 batches in a row end up turning out really bad because of some bad yeast that I was reusing. I was making a few batches a week so I didn't catch it right away. It really takes the wind out of your sails when your hard work turns out to be dissapointing. To me wine is a lot easier and when it turns out bad I just make vinegar or cook with it. If you screw up beer then you either let it sit for a few months longer and hope that it gets better or you dump it (which is usually what ends up happening). I don't love wine like I love beer so I don't make it that often but I do make it often enough that I won't forget how to do it.

It happens. just go through your notes and see where things went wrong. Did the SP get started on the lees of a bad batch? Things like that are what you should think about.
My biggest motivational hurdle is having to clean bottles. It's sa challenge. But I'll find a solution.
Just been too broke and too busy to find the time and material to make more wine lately. But it's temporary.
Right now is the time to spend with family and friends, the wine can wait a couple more weeks.
Just top off those airlocks and let it ride.
After the new year a new surge of inspiration will hit.

Well, the obsession died for me... Does this happen to yall, or am I wierd?...

Same happened to me a few years ago -- didn't have a batch fail, but just lost interest in the whole process for a while. Blame it on too much going on with work, travel, other life issues.

Eventually, though, the urge came back(!)

Thanks all for the comments (Especially JohnT!) No the SP was a mistake on my part, I had to rack into plastic (not BB) and I got sidtracked while cleaning out a carboy and forgot about it for a week or two... Ick, plastic taste. We did crack open a mini bottle last night of the pineapple. I got the comment that it tasted like Mad Dog, not really a compliment but means its drinkable and its still very young (started in August). So I guess that's ok since it will get better with age. Dad gave me a hard time tonight about it all, but hubby backed me up and bragged on a few of my wines (smart man!). So, I ended up getting 4-1 gal. carboys, more chemicals, bungs, airlocks for Christmas and $100 to shop with. Also got a HUGE beer start-up kit (primary to capper complete setup), and the supplies for a 5-gal batch. Looks like I'm on to beer for awhile. I have to get some inspiration and some yeast to start more wine. LOL! I'm thinking I'm gonna rack a few batches and taste-test them. If I have another decent one I think I'll get back into it. I just have to slow down and pace myself (and pay more attention!). So I'm off to put that little batch of SP to rest... Now that I'm better equiped I think I'll try it again. On the plus side, 1 of the gallons of watermelon is finally clearing I noticed tonight. And that concludes my little rant and rave, and excuse to where I've been. Thank you all for tuning in, I'll be here same time next week! LOL! Thanks again guys, without yall I'd be using those full carboys for shotgun practice!

I think the thing I dislike the most is racking.

A couple of suggestions..

1) Throw a "racking party". This will help make racking a thing to look forward to.

2) Get a wider diameter hose (if you syphon) to speed the process up.

Closetwine - If this is your first foray into beer, can I suggest you start with a nice. simple IPA (Indian Pale Ale)? I have found that this will yeild best results with the least amount of effort.

A couple of suggestions..

1) Throw a "racking party". This will help make racking a thing to look forward to.

2) Get a wider diameter hose (if you syphon) to speed the process up.

Thanks for the suggestions, a party would definitely help, but I doubt the wife would tolerate that every weekend! Once I get the batches I have going in hand and get down to the 3-4 at a time, I think I'll be back to normal.

JohnT- My family bought the kit, it's an American Ale I believe. It's not what I would have picked, it's more what they drink, LOL! But I'm not complaining because it'll still be good to kinda get some practice with. If the first batch is even drinkable I'll be happy. I'm planning on getting a few under my belt, cause I have an uncle's tried and true recipes I'm dying to try.

Latest posts

Back