Buon Vino Auto Bottle Filler

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had nothing but trouble with mine. I guess there's a big learning curve. I even played around with water to get a feel for it. Putting it on vacuum and had it suck the wine into the aspirator container. I was expecting it to do that, but not as much as it did (400 ml) After a frustrating run, I decided to gravity fill and see how well that worked. It was a little better, but the same problem I got > 350 mls of wine into the overflow bottle. It seemed like it wanted to get into the overflow more at times than the bottle I was trying to fill. I guess I need to practice a little more with it. I broke my canister on the aspirator pump, so maybe that was the problem. I'll get another one before I try this again. Or maybe I need to go the way wade suggests using a 1 gallon jug with a double drilled bung.

I practiced with water for almost two hours (which was frustrating), then I took a break and posted some questions on this forum. By the time I went back to it, I had it pretty much worked out the technique. After bottling a 5 gallon batch I had a glass and a half of wine in the aspirator... so I just toasted to the fact that bottling had taken all of 15 minutes.
smiley1.gif

I agree it can be frustrating at first but for me it was well worth the investment.

Not gonna give up on it just yet. I will try it again in a couple weeks. I got another 6 gallons of blackberry wine to bottle. I will look at your post to see what was said

GREATidea. I'd love to also see pictures on how the more experienced people use this set up...

I can't believe I never looked at the "how to" section! Doh!

And yes, I too would love to see another one using the vacuum pump with the auto filler.

Joan said:
I can't believe I never looked at the "how to" section! Doh!

And I just checked because I wanted to see what everyone was doing! I just use the spring filler and usually bottle in the morning since the pup & I are the only ones awake. I have no idea how long it takes, but its rare I'll bottle more then 1 batch a day. Except for my 1 gallon experiments.
VC

If I have the time next time I bottle I will try to do a pictorial and try and figure out some more helpful info to ease the beginners pain. It really is a big time saving device but everyone's unfortunately may need different settings due to longer and different ID hoses, height of carboy from floor. These are just afew of the things that will change what pressure you need to set the vacuum at or adjust the auto shut off mech on the filler ot both. When you do get yours set up and working good try and keep everything the same next time. Im not sure what the tolerances are on these units if they are all exactly alike so they all work the same or if tolerances allow for each unit to be adjusted differently from the next. I have heard that there are old and new units with this filler also and was told to stary away from one about a year ago but cant remeber which one it was.

The others that say there are problems with the units say the red ones are better. Mine is black and I have no issues. Sorry, I haven't taken enough pictures of it in action to do a tutorial of the process. It sounds like a good idea, I just don't have the time to do it. I plan on going to a 3 or 5 spout gravity filler before the next large bottling. I will fill it with a sureflo 12 volt diaphram pump.

Stepping up huh, I dont blame you with all that!!!!! I think mines white and black.

wade said:
Stepping up huh, I dont blame you with all that!!!!! I think mines white and black.

As is mine. I just think its user error. I need to learn how to make it functional. I have a few empty carboys & can play around with it......

gaudet said:
wade said:

As is mine. I just think its user error. I need to learn how to make it functional. I have a few empty carboys & can play around with it......

Empty Carboys!! I'm sure there is some winemakers rule about not letting that happen.
VC

vcasey said:
gaudet said:
wade said:
As is mine.  I just think its user error.  I need to learn how to make it functional.  I have a few empty carboys & can play around with it......
Empty Carboys!! I'm sure there is some winemakers rule about not letting that happen. VC

Yes, I was anticipating having some muscadines to have them full. That didn't pan out. I do plan a few meads in the near future. I intend to ferment a 6 gallon batch then split it in two and that will occupy my 3 gallon carboys. I also plan to try to brew some apfelwine. Sounds good to me. And before you know it spring will be here with a fresh new crop of blackberries........ And mulberries......

I have empty carboys as well - shame on me. I've been avoiding the 3 hour round trip to get honey. My procrastination may have paid off because I found an even more local bee keeper, he is only 20 minutes away!
I also have 2 kits 2 start and that will happen Thursday after I rack my Christmas Cake Cyser.
VC

I do to but only till this weekend as they have been spoken for already, have 2 wines in primary finishing as we speak.

The Buon Vino is my new favorite toy. Got the aspirator pump hooked up to it and bottled two batches today. My pump came with a broken overflow bottle so I bought a case of 12 (thought they were 1-use, non resealable) 800cc reusable ones. Had about 300cc (1 large glass) it the overflow bottle after each batch. Awesome way to bottle!!

Glad you like it Radar! We should get together 1 of these days and share and exchange some wine. We are so close if I remember correctly!

Yes we are Wade. None of my stuff has the proper age on it yet, but when it does we should make that happen.

That dont mean you cant come over and drink mine, Ive got plenty, trust me!
smiley36.gif

Back