Bung Trouble

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstar26

Reaction score
So after my first racking and "vigourous" stirring to degas my wine, I fitted the bung and airlock and it appears as though it is squeezing the bung out! Is it possible that there is just so much CO2 at this point that its pushing the bung out of the carboy, I can put the bung in all the way to the edge and it still comes up! I am supposed to stir the wine 6 times over the next 24 hours to degas it. How far in does the bung have to be? Any hints on how to get the bung to stay in?

This can happen if the bung is wet. The tapered diameter will tend to push the bung upward. Try drying the bung, as well as the neck of the carboy, it should work better.

Last edited:
This can happen if the bung is wet. The tapered diameter will tend to push the bung upward. Try drying the bung, as well as the neck of the carboy, it should work better.

Worked like a charm, thank you kindly!

I will insert my bung slightly wet but at an angle with my finger pushing in the lower one side. Then when it's at the correct depth I straighten it out and release the bung so it fits nice and tight. Often times I will turn the bung a bit to really snug it up. They don't pop out then.

I will insert my bung slightly wet but at an angle with my finger pushing in the lower one side. Then when it's at the correct depth I straighten it out and release the bung so it fits nice and tight. Often times I will turn the bung a bit to really snug it up. They don't pop out then.

I agree about the little turn. I have found that a little twist or turn of the inserted bung really makes it grip.

Is it best to insert the bung with the airlock attached or after the bung is inserted?

Always insert the airlock with the bung in especially if the bung you are using is on the smaller side as they are easier to get in then get out!!!!!!

Back