bung help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSmith3011

Reaction score
I have a couple questions on bungs. Like any properly obsessed hobbyist, I bought all kinds of supplies when I started, solid bungs with hole, hollow bungs, and carboy caps. Can someone please describe the differences between these carboy toppers.
Also, what is the best way to keep these little buggers from popping out? It seems every time I rack and get a clean bung they wanna pop out. Eventually I get them to stay but was curious if there is a trick.
Thanks

You said solid bung with hole so im guessing you mean the rubber bing as the hollow one is called a silicone multifit. They both do the saemthing. If you have any "solid" bungs mening no holes I wouldnt use them myself. The carboy caps IMO dont have much use if you ask me except for me using them to vacuum rack.

Just make sure that your using the right size bung for your carboy. I never have a problem with them. I also insert them after I spray them with K-Meta.

I use the solid bungs for gallon jugs of skeeter pee in the fridge and they seem to work well. I insert them with a little twist, like a screw on cap and the stay in. Once they dry out from the first application they actually stick well, but not too tough to get out, thank the devil. Now I have the screw caps from donated gallon wine jugs for the skeeter pee so don't use them as much. The gallon jugs of pee seem to work better than the liter bottles because we go thru it so fast.

Ksmith I like your avatar! I was going to say just about the same thing Wade said. Make sure your bungs are dry when you insert them although I also spray mine with k-mets before insertion. If I have one that does not want to stay in i just switch it out with another one and that seems to work.

....Also, what is the best way to keep these little buggers from popping out? It seems every time I rack and get a clean bung they wanna pop out. Eventually I get them to stay but was curious if there is a trick.
Thanks

Make sure the bung and carboy mouth are both dry and they'll stay put. You can sanitize them first but then wipe them dry with a clean tissue/paper towel. Insert the bung with a slight twist.

Make sure the bung and carboy mouth are both dry and they'll stay put. You can sanitize them first but then wipe them dry with a clean tissue/paper towel. Insert the bung with a slight twist.

Yes you are so right and I search many companies that are providing best quality barrel bungs and these bungs are made with good quality material which is not that toxic.

As you said these bungs can be even get clean easily.

For what it's worth, I use rubber bung (holed) and a trap until it is time to bottle. I have them filled up so the vessel does not do much "breathing" as time goes on.

On a side note, the stadard (tan colored) rubber bungs last forever! I have some that are over 20 year old and are still usable.

Just before I insert my airlock and bung I will give the cap, airlock and bung a good sulfite and water spray. Then with the lower paert of my thumb/hand I'll wipe excess wetness off. (Hands are also clean). This will dry the bung enough to insert into a carboy and it will stick.

I usually will insert at an angle then push forward to keep the fluid in airlock closer to the bottom and not escaping the top. Kinda of a squeeze and push in.

Latest posts

Back