Other Bulk aging without finings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacci

Reaction score
Can someone confirm that I should have enough KMS used at the stablizing stage to carry me over for at least 3 months of bulk aging. I racked lees off after secondary, and stablized with the provided 5gram pkg of sulfite, no finings, no sorbate. Both the cellar craft and WE kits seem to be clearing nicely, just wanted opinion if thats enough KMS for 3 maybe 4 months bulk aging. In the past, I've added another 1/4 tsp of KMS after racking lees off from the finings used in kits.

I ran out of finings a while ago and keep forgetting when I go to town I need some . I have about 40 gallons in aging without finings and all are beautiful to see

I rack back to a primary add the KMS and degass with a drill mounted whip and pretty much get all the (pink foam) to dissipate before racking back to a carboy and just let it age for 3 months. I guessing 5 grams of KMS will protect wine, even with all that going on.

Whipping wine, even with extra Kmeta is not a good idea. You add a ton of dissolved O2 and that is never a good idea

the wipping won't hurt a young wine full of co2 too much but I'd reccomend adding 1/4 tsp of kmeta to the carboy then rack the wine into it , make sure you minimise head space and then age .

the extra 1/4 tsp of kmeta is a good idea with any wine you are going to bulk age

Last edited:
This was his second degas, so odds are it was not full on CO2. He added a teaspoon of K meta, or approximately 1/3 tablespoon

No, this was the first time i've degassed which was done right after the 10 day secondary fermentation period in a carboy. The wine is only 20 days old. All directions say, rack add KMS, sorbate, finings and degass, you let the wine sit for 20 - 22 days and then rack off the sediment. After that, it's usually advised to add 1/4 tsp of KMS for bulk age. Where I deviated, I'm skipping that racking (off sediment) by letting the wine clear naturally for 3 months without finings. Is the original KMS added during stabilization enough to protect the wine for 3 month or should I only go 2 months? One kit instructions say to add more if aging longer than 55 days, which I would be doing.

Latest posts

Back