Mosti Mondiale Bulk Age - MM Montepluciano

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassidy

Junior
Reaction score
MM Renaissance Montepluciano
Ive started my first wine kit recently Im thinking about bulk aging and here is where Im at..Day 3 S.G was at 1.054Day 4 S.G. was at 1.022 then added the yeast nutrient provided.. missed the 1.040 racking so skipped racking into carboy as instructions say and kept in primary...
Now when S.G. hits 0.0996 or so for a couple of days I plan on racking, adding the k-meta and degassing (if this is correct).
Now Im supposed to add the siligel and liquigel (claifiers) but if I want to bulk age the MM website says to hold off on the till 7-10 days before I bottle. Then at bottling add the k-sorbate.
A couple of questions:( I was planning on bulk aging 3 - 6 months with a possible rackingin- between)Any cons against bulk aging? or should i just bottle after ~24 days like instructions says.With bulk aging do I add more k-meta at 3 or 6 months(with the k-sorbate)?Am I missing anything?Thanks,Cassidy

Just checked my primary. It's at 0.0995 at 69 deg after just six days. Will have to rack it in the next day or so?

I would get it off of the gross lees in the primary and into secondary and degass, stabilize and to clear, then can let it bulk age from there.

Welcome to the group and enjoy!

I have always fined prior to bulk aging. Am very interested to hear from someone that has actually followed the Mosti instructions this way.

Hi, Cassidy. Welcome to the forum. Decimals are tricky. Your SG is 0.995. That is a good ending SG. Many on this forum routinely leave the must/wine in primary for 14 days and then stabilize. Don't worry about "gross lees." That is a term which applies to grape winemaking much more than kit wine making. Yes, there are dead yeast cells in the lees, but 2 or even 3 weeks of contact has no ill effects, according to what I have read on this forum over the years.

At this point I would suggest waiting another week or so to stabilize. The wine will start the degassing process for you during this time. Wine doesn't like to be rushed.

Bulk aging is widely practiced by the forum regulars. There are pros and cons, but you definitely don't want to bottle after 24 days. Here is a good article from Wine Maker magazine about time frames.

Thanks for the replys.

Im going to rack it out of the primary this weekend. I think Ill add the K-meta, siligel, and liquigel as intructions say. Then bulk age.

Will I have to add more k-meta at some point? 3 or6 months or at time of bottling?

The kit also has a package of potassum sorbate to add at time of bottling. Ive read that some people add this and some dont. Im torn.

cassidy

One more question.

If I add the siligel and liquigel, will I have to rack it again sooner than 3 months?

Latest posts

Back