Cellar Craft Bulk age a wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalGuy

Reaction score
I would like to bulk age my wine kit for 3 or 4 months. What do I have to do differently, as far as chemicals go and racking? I really want to make sure I get a fruit fwd, light tannin, like a velvety texture/jammy. Any advice will help.

I really want to make sure I get a fruit fwd, light tannin, like a velvety texture/jammy.

I suppose you might look at changing the yeast you use to maximize your chances of bringing out the qualities you prefer. Here are three links to get you started:

http://www.lallemandwine.us/cellar.php

http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_chart.php

http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

Note, if you do this, that some yeast require the use of a yeast nutrient and/or energizer.

3 or 4 months won't really "age" a wine kit. You need 6 months to a year. Just follow Sals advice and sulfite every 3 months during the sitting time.

I've started to bulk age my kits (at the point the instructions would have me bottle) 2-3 months with an in between rack. If nothing else it will help to eliminate or at least minimize bottle sediment. An 1/8 tsp. of k-meta is what I've started to add before bottle aging.

I'm planning on bulk aging for three months and then going to bottle. I'm greeting ready to do my first rack from primary to secondary. Do I still add the enzyme pouch the kit comes with and add the k meta with it? Also when do I add all my clearing agents and when do I perform my de gas? I was thinking I do my secondary fermentation like it calls out for then when I get to the clearing stage, that's when i add all my chemicals, perform de gas add the k meta then start my bulk aging.

That is the way I do it. Just follow the directions (with one exception to follow) up until the instruction "Bottle." Instead of putting the wine in 30 little bottles, put it in one big bottle, and then age in that carboy for as long as you want.

The exception: Many here don't use the potassium sorbate if they are NOT planning to later add any sugar (i.e., backsweeten).

Also, during the bulk aging, make sure to keep an eye on your airlock (don't let it go dry), and add k-meta every so often. Some suggest adding 1/4 tsp every 3 months; some also re-rack at that time.

When you bulk age in your carboys, do you prefer to keep the airlock or switch to a solid stopper on the carboy?

buckhorn said:
When you bulk age in your carboys, do you prefer to keep the airlock or switch to a solid stopper on the carboy?

Airlock for sure. My basement sees enough temperature swings that a solid stopper would either get sucked in or pop out.

What is the purpose of the potassium sorbate?

It limits the ability of the yeast to reproduce, so it prevents having a "refermentation" episode. This is particularly important when you add sugar (i.e., backsweeten), because the yeasty beasties could reignite vigorous fermentation if they could reproduce.

It limits the ability of the yeast to reproduce, so it prevents having a "refermentation" episode. This is particularly important when you add sugar (i.e., backsweeten), because the yeasty beasties could reignite vigorous fermentation if they could reproduce.

Thanks for the info.

I'm in the process of making a amorone and in the instructions it has me adding the sorbate before I degass. Do you recommend or is it better to leave out. I will not be back sweeting.

Thanks for the info.

I'm in the process of making a amorone and in the instructions it has me adding the sorbate before I degass. Do you recommend or is it better to leave out. I will not be back sweeting.

If the wine is fermented to dryness, I personally will not include potassium sorbate, and the same would be true for many other people. There's really no reason to add it unless there you are sweetening it.

If the wine is fermented to dryness, I personally will not include potassium sorbate, and the same would be true for many other people. There's really no reason to add it unless there you are sweetening it.

Thanks for the info. I will leave out. I figure the less chemicals the better.

Back