Brave or stupid?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilesDavis

Reaction score
I was in one of those grocery liquidator places today, and they had 46 oz. bottles of blueberry juice for $1.99. The mix is blueberry juice and white grape, 100% juice.
I thought "hmmm...I like blueberry wine, but hate paying $20 for it".
So I bought three bottles and started a batch. My first batch of wine ever has been in the primary for three days, I'm still asking questions about it, and now I'm starting more. Silly.

Anywho, here's what I came up with:

138 oz. Blueberry/white grape.
2 tsp. acid blend.
1/2tsp. yeast nutrient.
Montrachet yeast.
2-2/3 cup of cane sugar brought the SG to 1.098.
I started the yeast in about 2/3cup of juice that I warmed to 90 degrees and let sit covered for an hour.

I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Looks like you should be off to the races. Think I would check around and see if there is a frozen blueberry concentrate. You won't need it right away, but after fermenting and stabalizing it mite help bump up the flavor if it is too weak. Time will tell, tho. Good luck with it, Arne.

This sounds good to me! Put back a few bottles for 6 months after bottling date. It'll be better. Yeah go ahead and guzzle the rest and start a new batch.

I'll even let ya use the trademarked name I give these kind of wines:

EX-GIRLFRIEND
Cheap * Fast * Easy

:)

I'm even more excited about this one than I am about the blackberry I have going.
My whole house smells like berries. I'm going to take a SG on it tonight and see how it's progressing.
I'm also still working emptying my 4L secondary fermenter. Carlo Rossi may not make a fabulous wine, but he sure packs it in a nice jug!

The threads on the Carlo Rossi jugs will not work with the aftermarket plastic lids I bought. Have to use the ones that came with the jug. I am going to do a bit of research on that this weekend to see if they have some lids to fit the Rossi jugs. Going to the big city and get to hit a wine wish store or two. Arne.

It would be nice to have a good screw-top lid for it, but for now I just need a stopper with a hole for an airlock.
I like the 4L size, it gives some leeway for a gallon batch.

Update:
I just transferred the blueberry to a secondary this morning. SG was 1.017. So far so good, it's even kinda tasty already.
BTW, the juice was Wyman's Blueberry.

Latest posts

Back