Bouquet/Nose - Kit Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pracz

Reaction score
Hi All -

It has been a while since I have posted. This forum has been very helpful with the wine making process and am happy I found you all! I have four kit wines bottled (2 MM Renaissance Reds, 1 RJ Cru Select, 1 CC Zin) and one CC Red Mountain CS on the way. My question to the expects is about bouquet (or nose). The four kits will be in bottle a year in May. I tried some this past January. The taste is there but the bouquet/nose is not. They all have the same nose. It is strange. They all smell the same but the taste is definitely more in line with the varietal. I know that, with more time, the wine will improve, however, will the bouquet/nose improve with time and differentiate based on the varietal? When does this typically happen?

Thanks for the help!

Pete

The boquet will definately improve over time. What you are experiencing now is not unusual and will also find that if you decant the wines ( reds especially) about 45 minutes to an hour prior to consumingthe boquet really opens up on them

I have found that without fail all of my reds at 12 mo were just "so so", but as they got closer and closer to 18 months the flavor and bouquet really improved.

Like Waldo said these wines really really need to air out since they are so young. If you don't have one yet get one of those Vinturi aerators. They help to add O2 quickly and cuts down on the decanting time.

Thanks Gentlemen!

I was hoping that was the case. I will let them rest a while longer and see if they improve.

Regards,

Pete

I would add that the Riedel Pinot Noir glasses I got a few months back greatly intensify the bouquet of every wine I have drunk from them. They are a little pricey (~$10-$20 per glass), but try one and you will notice a big difference in the bouquet. The glass doesn't change the bouquet, but it's like a magnifying glass for the nose.

I have compared the same young wine in a "regular" wine glass vs. the Riedel Pinot Noir glass, and the difference in the bouquet can be incredibly dramatic.

+1 to what Bart said! If you haven't had opportunity to try Riedel glasses, they are amazing! The Pinot glass is a large bowl with a small opening to concentrate the bouquet of wines that are "bouquet challenged", which a typical Pinot is. There is also a whole range of other glasses that actually *do* make a difference in how the wine is perceived. The Pinot glass also makes sure when you taste, that the wine is deposited on the portion of the tongue that gets more sweetness to bring out fruit tastes.

I've also got the Riesling, Syrah, Bordeaux, Champagne, and Port glasses too. Until I tried them, I thought a glass was a glass.

Thanks again for all the information!

I don't disagree that a good glass can make a big difference in the bouquet. However, what I am currently experiencing with my wine is that the bouquet is simply not pleasant. It is difficult (if not impossible) to differentiate my MM Pinot Noir from the MM Cab. I have to believe that it is the age of the wine and that eventually (as Mike indicated above) the nose will improve. I'm going to let the wine age for another six months and give it a try again.

As I mentioned in my OP, the taste is getting there. However, as we all know, that is only half the experience.

Thanks again all!!

Pete

Latest posts

Back