WineXpert bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
How do keep sediment from getting into the bottles from the carboy during bottling?

I've been bulk ageing and a couple of weekends ago I started to bottle but when I picked up the carboys from the floor of the closet and set them on the kitchen counter it stirred up so much sediment I couldn't bottle. I actually racked them again, but there is still a bit of sediment now and I assume when I put them back on the counter it will go into suspension again.

Should I just set the carboys on the counter for a couple of days prior to bottling, kept away from light and heat of course?

The fact that there is still sediment means that the wine has not completely cleared yet. Once the wine has cleared there is usually a minimal amount of sediment, if any.
The wine maynot be fully degassed, which could cause it to not clear as quickly as one would anticipate.

I would continue racking and bulk aging until there is no sediment being dropped by the wine.

however if you are adamant about bottling now, move the carboy into position and let everything settle.
if you are able to hold the racking cane just above the sediment (or have an extra set of hands), this way you can avoid bottling up the muck from the bottom.

Yes, once you've racked a few times and you have very little sediment you can move to the counter and the little sediment that's left will settle down really quickly. I usually set out the day before I plan to bottle.
Mike

If you have that much sediment that it stirs up when moved only a few feet you need to rack if off or pre-move to carboy a few days before you bottle so you don't disturb the wine so much. Another trick is to tilt the carboy at an angle so the sediment settles to one side, then insert the racking cane on the other side once you carefully level the carboy. Once you improve your racking techniques you will only need to rack once or twice to have a perfectly clear wine after fining.

Whites and blushes I'm able to see if even a dusting of sediment is left in the carboy when I'm ready to bottle. If I don't see a dusting I'll likely bottle from the carboy. If I see a dusting or I'm bottling a red I'll rack to a primary bucket first and then bottle from there. Anything more than a dusting and wine gets racked to a clean and sanitized carboy to get the wine off the heavier sediment and allowed to bulk age some more.

Even after it has cleared well, should I filter as I bottle? If so, what is the recommended method?

I will be bottling a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Riesling.

Thank you

None of the ~10 kits and 2 DB wines I've made have needed filtering. One, a California Muscato made with Elder Flower stuff added, would have benefited from filtering.

About a week after the "bottling date" has passed, I rack to a clean carboy and rest another 3 weeks (sometimes more). At that point, I rack into a juice pail that has a spigot in the bottom. My bottling wand fits right in the spigot, and I bottle from there. I haven't had a sediment issue since adopting that strategy. Having said that, your retailer would likely lend (or rent dirt cheap) you a filter pump that you could use to rack and polish your wine prior to the bottling task. Even if you get sediment in your bottles, you could move carefully, and decant slowly before drinking. Where there's a wino, there's a way!

Latest posts

Back