Bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry1

Reaction score
Did a google on bottling. Directions were to wash, sanitize and hang on a tree. Then let them set until dry. Takes forever for a bottle to dry this way. Are we worried about the sanitizing solution or was this written by someone that shouldn't have done so? I have been rinsing off spoons, etc, with tap water before I put them in the fermenting wine to keep from getting this solution in the wine before it finishes fermentation. Nothing so far has been the worse for it. When there is quite a few bottles to be put up at the same time how do some of you handle this? I'm not to the stage where I have a lot ot wine to bottle at once, but I can see it coming.
smiley1.gif

Hey Jerry1,
What I do is wash the bottles, put them in a case up side down till I am ready to bottle. Then I rinse them out with a K Meta solution and hang them on a tree. I dont worry about the bottles drying because it is the same solution that I put in the wine so no need to worry.
I use the Ferrari Sulphiter/Vinator to sanitize the bottles. It fits on top of the tree and makes life easy.You can use a funnel and poor the solution from one bottle to the next then shake the bottle but the Vinator is just so easy.

Go to the FVW web site or call George. you wont be disappointed.
Bruce

Bruce, I also have the vinnator and have used it a couple of times. Not really too pleased with it because I have to pour so much KMeta in the bowl to get it to prime and work. So the article that said let the bottles air dry was full of hooey. Kinda figured that but had to make sure. So much to learn, but we're gettin' there.

Jerry

True, you don't really have to wait for bottle to dry, just until most of the sanitizer drains out.

Except for after sanitizing bottles, I also always rinse everything after sanitizing. May not be necessary, but I always have. Otherwise, IMO, the sanitizer can begin to accumulate. It might not hurt you, but I'd just as soon not drink much of it.

If you find a better way of sanitizing bottles that actually requires less solution please let us know, almost any other way requires a lot more!!!!!!!!

Jerry1
What I did was make a gallon of the solution. When it was time to bottle I poured the solution in the vinator, sanitized the bottles then poured the solution that was left back in the gallon container. That way your not really wasting any. -Bruce

right or wrong ... I use a cheap little spray bottle. I can put a good fog in the bottle with about 5 pumps. Then I hang it on the tree till most drains out.

When bottling I make a fresh gallon of K-meta or Sodium Meta, add it to the Vinator. 3-4 pumps per bottle and a hang on the tree. I always wash the tree first and spray on some of the sanitizing solution to the "branches". Not sure if this is needed cause the bottles will all contain the fumes of sulfur and should do the trick, but it doesn't hurt. As far as letting it air dry, I doubt you even get 1/2 a ml of solution leftover in the bottle. I just put the bottles on the tree and then prep the rest of the equipment, by the time I get to actually bottling, they are pretty much dry.......

I have avoided buying the tree because of the space it requires when not in use. In spite of all the warnings about proper sanitation (of which I am well aware), I usually rinse the bottles (cleaned and well-rinsed when first emptied) with water only, drain, let stand for a few minutes, dump the 1/2 teaspoon or so that accumulates from the sides, and proceed with bottling. My bottles are stored in a very dry Texas attic that reaches 135 degrees F in the summer (probably hotter than that *this* summer), so dust is a greater concern than bacteria or wild yeast. Haven't had any problems out of 500+ bottles, but I suppose it is only a matter of time - if it's another 1,000 bottles before I have a contamination problem, I would trade that for the time energy and expense of going through all the sanitary precautions.

Latest posts

Back