Other Bottling temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
I've been cold stabilizing in my garage here in Dallas for a bit. Have some relatives in town that would like to help bottle today or tomorrow.

I just brought it in from a 30 F garage. I am guessing I need to let it warm a bit first.

Do I need to let it come to room temp before bottling to keep from putting too much pressure on the corks?

Will it hurt to set the carboy close enough to the living room fireplace to gently warm it a little quicker (under a carboy box to keep it dark) , or should I just let it sit in room temp and rise slowly? I wonder how long it will take to warm.

I always bottle at room temp..meaning between 65 and 75 degrees,for what its worth.
Would like to see what others say on this post...Good question.
I know this year my temp got to about 60 in buckets(fermenting), so i brought them in and put by a oil heater..took 2 days for it to come up to 68

I would rack the wine while still cold to remove any tartrate you may have at bottom of carboy. racking will elevate the temp. you should be able to bottle wine at 60 deg without any problem. if you have a lactic blanket it could warm faster.

If you bottle at a temp the same or warmer than what you will be storing, there should be no pressure on the cork (provided you have properly stabilized and degassed).

I appreciate the input from everybody. I put a heating pad on the carboy on low.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I would rack the wine while still cold to remove any tartrate you may have at bottom of carboy. racking will elevate the temp. you should be able to bottle wine at 60 deg without any problem. if you have a lactic blanket it could warm faster.

Salcoco is spot on. Rack your wine off the tartrates first. Set the carboy in a warm room. I don't know what a lactic blanket is. I do not endorse putting it next to a heater. Fast extreme temperature changes are not good.

Back