Bottling Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn1

Junior
Reaction score
I need some advise re: bottling Port. In the instructions that comes with all RJS Kit. Under the bottling part for this Port ( CSS Orange Choc )is states to used the small 375 ml. As you know it is only a 3 gal kit. Can someone Please explain why I should use the small bottles? If it were you, what would you do?? Thanks Lynn

Because Port is an after dinner sipping drink (19% ABV usually). A 375ml bottle should suffice for an evening apre's dinner drink for 4. This way you will not have a half bottle left over that you will have to drink up or dump should it go bad.

That makes sense. I don't drink much Port, this batch is for our son.
So I guess I will use the 375 mi. How long should I let it lay in the bottle before its good to go? by the way Mike, I finally got through all the DR.
stuff and the wine is now flowing after a 6 mo leave. Thanks for your info
Lynn

Great to hear!

As for port, thats one of those that just gets better and better with age, lay it down as long as you possibly can, a year at least, 2 years if you can! Some commercial ports are not sold until they are 10 years old!

If you are going to let it age for 2 years or more be sure and use good quality corks

The other reason is because Ports and dessert wines are very sweet so drinking a whole bottle (750 ml)is usually not going to happen unless you have a few people over for dinner.

It really makes no difference what size bottle you use. I use both the 375s and the 750s. Ask him what he wants or bottle some in both. Your son is going to enjoy this port we just took a few bottles of the Orange Chocolate Port to a reunion - it was a hit.

Goodfella, Yup, all my bottles of wine and port have dust on them in the wine racks. Gives the illusion of really old aged wine.
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back