Bottling Ice Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
I am just a few weeks away from bottling my ice Riesling and it has occurred to me that I do not have enough of the same 750 milliliter bottles to keep them all and will have to buy a few cases. The other option is to put it in my 375 ml bottles like the ice Riesling comes in, but I have only plastic screw tops for those. They would be fun but I'm fearful of the screw top. I'm looking for consensus and recommendations.

I would stick to 375ml bottles. Ice wine is a wine you generally don't drink a lot of at one time. You can get 375's that are not the regular expensive ice wine bottles but with a nice label they would be awesome. I don't advise putting corks in a screw top bottle either.

I would stick to 375ml bottles. Ice wine is a wine you generally don't drink a lot of at one time.

+1

I don't advise putting corks in a screw top bottle either.

+1

If you did choose to do a couple 750ml, they'd be best used for larger-than-everyday gatherings.. Not a bad idea as the wine keeps longer that way, but its not feasible for every day or every bottle

I have 5 gallons of Riesling ice wine myself, that I need to get some bottles for yet - I'm going for the more expensive Bellissima bottles (typical bottle you'd buy ice wine in), but thats because i dont plan on giving many away & hope to reuse them

375ml has my vote as well. I bought a case of blue hock 375s for my batch in order to be a little different and then I will use clear hock 750ml bottles for the remainder (probably 3 bottles worth) in order to show off the color.

375's all the way. That stuff is WAY to sweet to go through a whole bottle at a time.

My local supply store had exactly two cases of 375ml bordeau style bottles (24 per case). Thought they were a bit pricey at $1.10 per bottle but at least I was assured of having an adequate supply when I do get ready to bottle my ice riesling. I agree with all the comments about sweetness so this is the size I would go with as well. Jerry:dg

Thanks guys. 375 milliliters it is. I guess the next issue is I want to buy bottles that are cork top and not screw top right? I have 14 cases of screw top bottles. I guess those are best kept for my Skeeter pee?

Back