Bottled juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry1

Reaction score
I have found a fruit stand that sells fruit juices by the gallon. Prices are very reasonable. How many gallons of pure juice would you use to make a 5 gallon batch of wine? The norm of 5 lbs. of fruit per gallon of wine will probably not yield 1 gallon of juice. I know when I steam juice fruit, the yield varies from year to year based on liquid in the fruit. One year plums (12 1/2 lbs) yielded 2qts 1pt. Next year the same tree yielded 2qts per 12 1/2lbs. Dryer year. Has anyone done any experimentation with pressed juices and come up with a consistent rule of thumb? Based on what little I know and that's not much, it would seem 1qt of pure fruit juice would be a little more than 5lbs of raw fruit. Please note I am addressing fruit. Grapes I would think would be another ballgame. Anyone? All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I have found a fruit stand that sells fruit juices by the gallon. Prices are very reasonable. How many gallons of pure juice would you use to make a 5 gallon batch of wine? The norm of 5 lbs. of fruit per gallon of wine will probably not yield 1 gallon of juice. I know when I steam juice fruit, the yield varies from year to year based on liquid in the fruit. One year plums (12 1/2 lbs) yielded 2qts 1pt. Next year the same tree yielded 2qts per 12 1/2lbs. Dryer year. Has anyone done any experimentation with pressed juices and come up with a consistent rule of thumb? Based on what little I know and that's not much, it would seem 1qt of pure fruit juice would be a little more than 5lbs of raw fruit. Please note I am addressing fruit. Grapes I would think would be another ballgame. Anyone? All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I do not think I understand what you are asking..

You ask how many gallons of juice make 5 gallons of wine?? Wouldn't that be 5 gallons?

I would advise you get 6 gallons of juice. Use the extra gallon for top off.

Hope this makes sense John T

Lets say I steam juice 25 lbs. of plums. The 25lbs is suppose to be enough fruit to make 5 gallons of wine if I put the whole fruit in the primary bucket and mash it up. To get to 5gal for wine I have to add water.

That same 25 lbs of plums when steam juiced will not yield 5 gallons of juice. T he yield would be something less than 5gal. Reread the first input. When I steamed my fruit for two different years, I of course got two different results. If I averaged those out 12 1/2lbs of plums would produce an average of 2qts to be conservative. So, if 12 1/2lbs produces 2qts, would it be logical to assume 1gal of pure juice would produce 5gal of wine? 25lbs of plums steam juiced, or pressed, would be equal to 1gal of juice. No? Is 1gal of pure juice enough to make 5gal of wine?

Last edited:
IMO one gallon of fruit juice is good for 1 gallon of wine.
Presumably the juice being sold is sold to be drunk as is - not as a concentrate. If it is sold at the concentration that anyone would enjoy drinking then this is likely to provide you with the fruit to water ratio that will provide you with a reasonable wine (I say reasonable because you don't have the skins for example to provide additional tannins and other adjuncts). My rule of thumb is - if it tastes OK to drink before I add the yeast then it will taste OK after it has fermented. If it tastes like water before I add the yeast then it is going to taste like water after the yeast has eaten all the sugar.

That you might dilute your fruit with water after you extract some juice is not really the issue. The farm stand may press the juice out of their fruit and collect more or less juice than you obtain (I think in beer making that might be called "efficiency"). I have made some very drinkable apricot, papaya and pomegranate wines from juices sold to be drunk as undiluted juice. Orange juice may need to be diluted because of the acidic concentration of the fruit - unless you like sweet wine the wine is out of balance in its sweetness to acidity ratio.

Some fruits like apple and pear are pretty light in flavor and are best if you use all juice for the ferment. Some like elderberry in my opinion need to be cut with water as the full juice flavor is too intense. To throw a big monkey wrench into this, The juices should be cut or not according to your tastes. The way I like them, you mite not and I mite not like what you do. So, maybe try a little experimenting and find what you prefer. Good luck with it, Arne.

Whole Pear juice

Arne I made 5 gal of wine from straight pear juice for the very reason you stated, ie light flavor. I did something wrong. I made this approx 16 mo ago and it has not cleared. Has a brown look to it. Haven't tasted it yet, but I'm getting close, clear or not. Wondering if it didn't get a little oxidation.

When I started this thread I was in hopes someone who uses a steamer would provide some input. I still can't understand where my logic is off. I believe the responders so far are experienced in using juices bought at the store ready to drink. Read the ingredient labels and most have some other fluid in them. Usually water. Guess I'll have to do as you suggest and try a little experimenting on my own.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Latest posts

Back