Bottle Bomb

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_S

Reaction score
On another thread someone was dealing with refermentation in the bottles, which reminded me of a story.

I used to work as a police dispatcher. One evening I received a 911 call of a possible drive-by shooting at an apartment. The caller said that they heard a loud pop and heard glass shattering.

The officers arrived, checked around, spoke to the occupants, and left. Later they told me what happened.

Apparently the people living in the apartment decided to make homemade wine. They used a gallon glass jug, and instead of putting an airlock, balloon, or anything like that on the jug, they screwed the cap back on.

KABLOOOEY! The officers told me that there was glass embedded in the ceiling. It's just a good thing nobody was standing next to it when it went off. I bet it would have been a sight to see though.

similar, yet unrelated, reminds me of another kind of bottle bomb....makes me think back to when i was just a stock boy at the store as a teenager....we'd get our grocery delivery from the warehouse in the evening....our frozen food came in there like 8 foot tall containers, (which by the way would have made great one man fishing shanties if skis were afixxed to the bottom), packed with chunks of dry ice....well, sometimes us stock boys would carefully crack some small chunks off the blocks, place them in a plastic 2 lt. bottle with a lil water, and seal it back up with the cap...we'd place it at a far area of our alley and get the hell away....depending on how much water was used compared to the amount dry ice, a couple of minutes later you'd hear a big "BOOM", and no more bottle....lol.....you would have thought someone was using dynamite....lol...ah yes, the stupid things we'd do as teenagers....lol...

My buddy in high school got in trouble for throwing those in the box crusher and the metal dumpster.

It was LOUD!

I had a bottle blow its cork this weekend. A dark red table wine. It was in our wine closet. It went all over our white walls, wine rack and cream carpet, not to mention over all the bottles that are stores in there. The unfortunate thing is, it's a bottle I bought at a Charity Wine tasting a couple of weeks ago from a winery up the road about an hour from me. When I looked at the little bit left in the bottle I couldn't believe all the sediment in it. I am thinking I need to call the maker and let her know what happened. Sort of makes me feel better about my wine in a weird way.

Oh man... nothing like a burgundy wine splattering all over white walls and light colored carpet...

Was that someone else's homemade wine or was it from the winery?

It was from a winery. After I got everything cleaned which meant moving a 72 bottle wine rack full of bottles plus taking it off the wall and the rest that went along with cleaning. All I could think if was "hey another bottle for me to use, yeah" my daughter just shook her head and said I needed help. :)

I had a bottle blow its cork this weekend. A dark red table wine. It was in our wine closet. It went all over our white walls, wine rack and cream carpet, not to mention over all the bottles that are stores in there. The unfortunate thing is, it's a bottle I bought at a Charity Wine tasting a couple of weeks ago from a winery up the road about an hour from me. When I looked at the little bit left in the bottle I couldn't believe all the sediment in it. I am thinking I need to call the maker and let her know what happened. Sort of makes me feel better about my wine in a weird way.

Did you let the lady know what happened? If it was me, I would like to know and possibly prevent the problem for somebody else. Mite prevent it in my cellar too. LOL, Arne.

Back