Blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stinkie,

Are those two S/S pots 100% stainless...Why I am asking is because I had a score of one that was a great strainer and I declined to take and use it because of the mixed metals which appeared to be stainless, although not pure. (See my post under tips!)
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Maui Joe

I'll explain about Stainless Steel later (did I mention I am in scrap metals?)

Anyway I think I was using ml's instead of cc's trying to get my acid
level, so with a PH of 4 it's either Tartaric of 2% or .2% any of these
sound right, I used less acid blend by 1/3rd to be able to get it right
on the money but am holding fast now till I get the right answer.

ph is still kinda high at 4. It really depends on whether or not you will be making a dry, off-dry, semi-sweet, or sweet wine. A sweet wine should start around 3.2 to 3.5. TA should be close to .65.

my TA is now .45 I only have a wide scale PH paper, I used a whole 3oz
bottle of acid blend for 8 gallons, I was nervous as this was my first
acid test.

How did you end up with 8 gallons from 15 pounds of berries? I thought I told you 5 gallons? That's the problem, too much dilution. Quit being so hard headed!

smiley35.gif

I had to put the water in cause I had too much sugar, I used 5 gallons
of water but when you add 2 gallons of berries and 1 gallon of sugar
you have 8 gallons..don't get upset, this is going to be a wonderfull
wine, as one of my sayings goes:

"we ain't building no piano here"

actually my father used to say that when I was moving too slow for him.

I think I'm going to put some lemmon juice in today to bring my acid
level up to over .50% I should just need a touch, I'm at .45% now.
(thanks Joe)

OK, but why not use acid blend? Lemon juice is mostly citric acid, which is not an acid normally found in great quantities in any wine. Acid blend is a combo of the 3 most common acids found in wine. For your sake, I am glad this is a good learning experience, and the wine will probably be great, which is a bonus!

smiley32.gif

I went to the city today and picked up two bottles of acid blend, it's
been a busy day, spending LOTS of time in winemaking (I thought this
was a part time sport) picked up 80 bottles today at the redemtion
center, heck I was just there last week, I said do you have any bottles
for me yet? and they bring out 4 boxes all 750's 17 green, 12 bar
(clear), 51 clear, they said do you want more? I said not yet you can
clearly get all I need on short notice! My fizz-x came today got it new
for 9.99 plus 4 shipping, what a deal!

I don't understand how you can buy something on eBay for 30% less than it costs me from the distributor before freight!

I posted some kits on eBay last year and lost money on every kit I sold. It seems the competition was selling expired kits and just trying to get some money out of people for bad wine kits.

I was planning on selling old Elvis 45's on ebay until I saw the same ones selling for $10! I reckon I will just keep them.

smiley22.gif

CW I have Thriller 45 still in the plastic.I figured ifJackson goes to the pen I might try to sell it on E-Bay.
smiley36.gif

ChrisEdited by: greenbean

Geo, my fizz-x was a freak sale, just have to keep your eyes open, guy had a new one listed for 9.99 and I was the only bidder, he doesn't sell them normally, he just had one. Edited by: AAASTINKIE

Stinkie...the bluebarry wine looks great....now don't get in a hurry, keep checking thing. Let it work as it needs to and it will turn out great. Give it time. And it is a lot of fun and some work doing fruit wines.

Bert

Looking real good Stinkie you keep saying it smells good have you tasted it yet what dose it taste like?
smiley17.gif

I'm trying not to rush, I just thought from reading 7 days was long
enough to let the fruit stay in, I had a long day yesterday, cleaned
170 sap pails, then at 8:32 HAZMAT pager went off, had to go out to
emergency till 2:30 am!! I'm tired but have a doctors appointment today.

Yes, I think 7 days is plenty long enough for the fruit. It is all an experiment, next time you might decide that was too long or not long enough. Also, some say to press out the fruit and some say do not. You make up your mind now and then you might deside to do it differently next time. Above all, let the wine take it's time and it will teach you to be patient!

smiley20.gif

I started 4/4 with a SG of 1.097 filtered the berries out 4/10 SG
1.074 back into a plastic primary, is it time to rack to a glass
carboy, it has been gassing off at the same slow rate since filtering,
I added 1 packet more yeast after filtering. Is it OK to wait weeks for
it to finish fermenting? After reading about yeast the other day I
bought some yeast today to have in stock, RED STAR, Premier Cuv'ee,
Pasreur Red, Montrachet.

AAA, I started a blueberry sherry on wensday and it also SLOW. I don't know if it is the pure blueberry or what that makes it slow. All of the other recipes I've seen for blueberry wine call for white grape juice to be added. I think I can wait though for a pure blueberry wine
smiley4.gif
. Mine smells and looks heavenly.

Chris

Blueberries have a natural type of sorbate that sometimes inhibits fermentation.

Stinkie, yes, sometimes it takes months for a fermentation to finish.

smiley5.gif

Latest posts

Back