Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClydeWigg3

Reaction score
Is it normal for blueberry wine to start off very slow? I'm percolating about every 20-25 seconds right now after 24 hours.

Yes it can be a bear to start. Did you make a starter? Did you do a TA Test?
Temp is important. I would also add nutrient.

As long as I have blubbles every now and then it should increase with time right? Fairly warm, room temp about 78*-79*. Just moistened the yeast in some warm water for a few minutes before adding to must.

Hopefully the water was not to hot. Add some yeast nutrient slowly. Blueberry may be a longer primary ferment. Take your time as you have at least 6 months to bottle

Like Tom said, watch out it does not get to warm. I have ruined Blueberry that way. The blueberry can be a bear to use so keep conditions as ideal as possible. It can also get stuck fairly easy if to don't. Stuck wine sucks

Came home this evening to a bad smell near my wine. Never made blueberry before so don't know if this is natural or not. this is only day 4 and it's bubbling away.

yeast nutrient? Does it smell like sulfur? If the yeast is stressed it will smell really bad.

I put yeast nutrient in it. I don't think it's a sulfur like smell, I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's not as bad as when I first came home. Could be I've gotten used to it. :)

What if it turns out the yeast is stressed, is there anything to do to save this? It's still putting off gas.

Unless you can identify the smell as a definite foul odor,which it sounds as though you have not,you are probably fine.Stir it up well a couple times a day.A taste test will determine if you are on target.

I openned to stir about 5 hours ago and that seems to have made a difference. The must bag has a lot of air in it and I prob used too much fruit (20 pounds for 5 gallons). In any event after stiring the odor is not as bad this morning. It was starting to smell like sulfur though.

I have one more day before I rack this from the bucket to the carboy. Anything special I should do since I'm having this problem? I'm hoping with one or two more stirings I can eliminate the problem.

U R smelling what the yeasties are doing. Never go by time go by gravity readings for racking (you just started this 4 days ago I doubt its ready for racking). Once the gravity is 1.020 remove the bag.I find it hard to see that you are making this (5 gal) in one bucket..
Please show recipe!
What'sthe starting gravity and what is it NOW?

Recipe

20# Blueberries
23 pt Water
8 3/4# Sugar
2 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
7 1/2 tsp Acid Blend
2 1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer
5 crushed Campden Tablets
Yeast - Red Star Cote des Blancs

At bottling time it calls for Red Grape Concentrate and Wine Stablizier.
I may skip the grape juice, not sure yet.

The initial gravity was 1.090. I haven't checked it since.

Don't judge wine by early taste or smell. If it doesn't smell like rotten eggs, let it alone. early fermentation can stink

Recipe

20# Blueberries
23 pt Water
8 3/4# Sugar
2 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
7 1/2 tsp Acid Blend
2 1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer
5 crushed Campden Tablets
Yeast - Red Star Cote des Blancs

At bottling time it calls for Red Grape Concentrate and Wine Stablizier.
I may skip the grape juice, not sure yet.

The initial gravity was 1.090. I haven't checked it since.

OK so its a 5 gal recipe?
Still light on blueberries
Everything else looks OK for now.
I would ck gravity today.
If @ 1.020 remove berries
Once removed I think you will be short of 5 gallons

I don't think I could get another pound of berries in the bag and still tie it, it's full. My plan is to top with water in the carboy, or a combo of water and grape juice concentrate to bring it up to 5 gallons. I know I don't have 5 gallons now.

Latest posts

Back