Blueberry wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intoxicating

Reaction score
On 10-01-09 I started a three gallon batch of blueberry wine with 9 lbs of blueberries, and then decided the recipe I was using sounded a little weak and added 4 Tbsp of dried elderberries.
By 10-30 the SG was down to 0.902.
On 11-15 I added 1/4 tsp Kmeta at racking, and again on 4-24-10, when I also added 1 tsp sorbate. and 1 tbsp med fr oak chips.
Reracked on 7-18-10. It looks clear and does not appear to be dropping significant sediment. I usually don't need to degass, since I am rarely in a hurry to bottle.
Last week I took off the airlock and put in a solid stopper, as per Georges new recommendations. This morning I was standing in the kitchen and heard a pop and looked to see the solid stopper on it's side in the neck of the carboy. I tasted it and it is good for an immature red, although it is dry enough the blueberry flavor doesn't come through. I plan to bottle one gallon dry and then f-pack the remaining two gallons.

NOW WHAT
smiley9.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley5.gif
? I already sorbated and sulfited it. Do I degass, add more k-meta, or just go back to the airlock? I am tired of babysitting a whole row of carboys, and would like to get something ready to bottle.

It was probably just a pressure change in your area ( low pressure system to high pressure system ) Others have had this same problem and have went back to using an airlock again.

BOB

I would go back to the air lock. I really don't think a solid bung is in anyones best interest but I could be wrong. What if you were gone for a week and it blew off?

By all means degas now. Once degassed you will see more solids drop.

I agree with Tepe.

George recommends for you to tape down solid bungs for this reason you just described. The benefit With solid bungs isyou dont need to add k-meta.

I agree with above as either tape it down or use airlock as temp changes and barometric changes will make a solid bung pop out, Im glad you heard as if it sat there for awhile like that you might have got in trouble. Now, Im a little concerned about how much kmeta youve been adding for a 3 gallon batch, you should be adding 1/8th tsp not 1/4 tsp as 1/4 is for a 6 gallon batch. Also, sorbate I believe is supposed to be added as 1/2 tsp per gallon so you are short on that. I do believe you should also be dbling the amount of fruit you are using in that batch minimum..

Back