Blueberry wine advice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreR

Reaction score
I recently had a batch of blueberry win turn bad on me, so am starting again. I diagnosed the issue to being too warm while sitting in bulk. We have radiant heat in the basement, and my daughter who's room is down there likes it warm... The wine wasn't horrible, just not what I want to bottle... I did notice however, the lack of "blueberry" flavor. So yesterday I extracted 20 liters of pure blueberry juice. My intent is to ferment pure juice, no water added.
My question is will the amount of ingredients such as pectic enzyme, acid blend etc change? Can somebody point me in the right direction with regards to an all juice recipe, or procedure?

Thanks!!

Did you add any sugar or was it dry? Blueberry in my opinion tastes rather bland, the sugar helps to bring out the berry taste. I had a three gallon carboy plus a 4 litre container I aged it in. The 4 litre container wasn't filled up the whole way and I ended up making some nice blueberry tasting sherry because it oxidized so bad (also was a little lax with my Kmeta additions). A sip of it gave you a headache within 10 minutes. The main batch is fine and my wife really likes it, finished SG was around 1.002, I think.

I recently had a batch of blueberry win turn bad on me, so am starting again. I diagnosed the issue to being too warm while sitting in bulk. We have radiant heat in the basement, and my daughter who's room is down there likes it warm... The wine wasn't horrible, just not what I want to bottle... I did notice however, the lack of "blueberry" flavor. So yesterday I extracted 20 liters of pure blueberry juice. My intent is to ferment pure juice, no water added.
My question is will the amount of ingredients such as pectic enzyme, acid blend etc change? Can somebody point me in the right direction with regards to an all juice recipe, or procedure?

Thanks!!

We use Danger Dave's Dragon Blood process. We use 12-15 lbs. of Wymans frozen Blueberry's for a 6 gal. batch that we bought at Wally World and just before we bottled we did a taste test and found it still needed a little more flavor so we added about 2-3 oz. of Brewers Best Blueberry flavoring and that did the trick. We called the wine Blue Blood and it was very good. You can easily find the Dragon Blood Thread on this site under Recipes. Or look in the newest threads column. It's an easy process to follow.

Will

I agree with ceeaton - My blueberry wine was disappointing until I backsweetened. This seems to be much more the case with Blueberry wine compared to the others fruit wines I have done.

If you haven't backsweetened it don't give up yet. AND don't backsweeten with anything that will over power the blueberry flavor - Honey and White grape come to mind. I'd stay with an unflavored sweetener unless you really want a blended wine.

Thanks guys. This issue wasn't just a bland or nondescript wine. I had turned into something, at best, poor quality. I tossed it. :) I have no need for swill.

This new batch is going to be 100% juice. KMETA added, along with pectic enzyme and energizer. will pitch yeast in the morning.

Latest posts

Back