Blueberry batches #1, #2, and #3

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I currently have two batches of blueberry wine going. Both are different recipes.
The first recipe is from another forum I found. It is under maintenance right now so I can't add the recipe.
The second was from wine making magazine.
https://winemakermag.com/461-making-blueberry-wine-tips-from-the-pros

The 3rd one I have yet to start. I currently have 33lbs thawing in the fridge. We plan on starting it tomorrow. I found this recipe in the recipe section and want to try this one.
2- 5 or 6 gallon primary buckets
30 lbs Blueberries frozen
10 lbs Sugar
2 Fruit Bags

2.5 tsp. Acid Blend
2.5 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
3 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp. Grape Tannin

Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

Anyone have any suggestions otherwise? We are totally open to suggestions! We want to try as many as possible this winter before we run out of berries.
Also I have searched as many blueberry threads as I can find. What is a good TA level for fruit or blueberry wines? .5%-.7% depending on taste? I finally got a tester kit and would like to start seeing where I am at. I also realized I have a pH tester from my hydroponics (lettuce and tomatoes). What is a good pH level? Mid 3's?
Thanks for any help or advice.

Last edited:
30 pounds for 5 gallons of wine is pretty good, if you use honey instead of sugar it will be even better, a little oak goes well with blueberries. You can keep adding honey or sugar based on the specific gravity to make a higher alcohol level with EC1118. We have also added a little Extra light dried malt extract to boost the body. Are you guys raising blueberries or just really really into blueberries:) WVMJ

We do blueberries. Couple hundred thousand pounds a year. Little guys really as far as it goes out by us. Everyone loves blueberry wine that we know and we have access to the fruit all summer. Wish I froze more. We got the wine itch again recently and I think we may have not frozen enough. We really want to start with a bunch of recipes and refine it each year till we have something perfect. Thanks for the suggestion on the honey. I think we may have to try that in this batch. I imagine it has to be pure honey? How much did you have to use to get it up to 1.090?

Getting a little worried. Batch #2 has had yeast in it for 6 days. The SG has barley dropped. It bubbles but not as fast as the peach I have going or Blueberry batches in years past. I added some yeast energizer and that does not to seem to have made a difference. The starting SG for batch #2 was 1.090. It is currently at 1.080. I'll stay the course I just worry I have never gotten such a deep beautiful color as I have from the variety in this batch.

Batch #3 has had yeast in for 24 hours and I have yet to see a bubble. I did a starter cup and it was foaming like crazy when I added it. I placed 45lbs of berries in this 6 gallo batch and do not want to lose it. The taste is amazing. The SG was 1.100 before adding yeast. I used Montrache. Do i ride the course or do something? I moved everything back upstairs where it is 71. I think it may have been a little cooler downstairs.

Sounds like it could be too cool, to me..

We're starting to slide into fall weather here in the PNW - not sure about you out there, but that slide can come as a 'welcome' to our minds, yet we forget sometimes it can be just enough to slow down our fermentations

What kind of nutrients are you using and whats your nutrient addition schedule look like?

The initial was just yeast nutrient. As far was what I can tell from the recipes it does not say add more. It has only been in the 60s here this week. House is between 67-70 (do not want to turn heat on yet :( ). I though it may be the cool. Only thing about that is the peach batch I have going is going crazy.

Latest posts

Back