Blackberry wine recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan&Judy

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, anyone have a great blackberry wine recipe they love? I'm wanting to try something a little different than the one i've been doing. Thanks

my experience with BlackBerry is I needed 2 times the fruit i did with blueberry or raspberry probably close to 18 pounds for 5 gallons

Last August I used 23.5 lbs of blackberry with I think 2 cups dried elderberry (rehydrated in a tea) for 5 gallons. a little tart but delicious Just bottled a few days ago with maybe 4 or 5 cups simple syrup for backsweetning. The sugar really smoothed it out. Sorry notes are at home. I will fight the grandkids for the blackberry's this year.

I’ve made a few runs of blackberry concord. Since there is so much variability year to year, I try to attain pH of 3.2-3.6, SG of 1.090, and use as much fruit as possible. I freeze the berries to make them easier to break down. They can be pretty acidic so I also use 71B as @suzyq2. I also use a yeast starter and nutrients (Fermaid O), and oak in the primary.

What are you looking for in terms of flavor? Also what have you been doing so far?

David Violante. I would love your specifics on your additions. Do you use frozen concentrate in place of water? How many ozs of chips (?) in primary? I've never oaked before with the exception of a kit or two.

I’m starting my batch today, 50lbs of blackberries, some frozen, some refrigerated. The fruit is split into two large fermentation buckets, with dual heat belts. Tomorrow I will simmer 1 large container of prunes and 1 large container (18 oz) of raisins, split between the two buckets. One bucket, for port, will get light malt, and after fermentation is complete, chocolate powder and Everclear 190.

I have another 40lbs in the freezer, and the plants are still producing lbs/day!

Back